Mach Five Questions

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

heartbeat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mach Five Questions

Post by heartbeat »

Hey Guys I'm thinking about buying the mach 5 I just have a couple of questions.
1) I know it offers a super deep granular synthesis engine for creating playable instruments of of sampled audio but does it offer a more old school crossfade loop option? Essentially I'm trying to recreate an asr10 sort of sound
2) is it necessary to install the entire sample library?

Thanks!
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mach Five Questions

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Yes, there is a cross-fade mode for loops and no, you need not install ANY of their libraries if you don't want to. Just drag and drop your sample to a key on the M5 GUI and then start editing. Range is easy, just drag the edge to whatever key you want. Also setting velocity triggers is very easy. Even w/o the IRCAM stuff, M5 is well worth it. THe sample libraries aren't as good as some dedicated packages out there, but they're pretty damn good once tweaked a little to taste. Many are great right out of the box. Some can be CPU hogs, especially with heavy scripting and many samples per instrument. In that case, you can reduce the CPU hit on a multi core machine by running multiple institutions of the VI so multi-thread distributes the hit across multiple cores in the Mac. 64 or 32 bit. Couldn't live without it.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS