release trigger questions

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

danshouse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

release trigger questions

Post by danshouse »

I am building a piano sample library, and am trying to figure out how to do release triggers that mimic how a piano really works when you release the key.

I get how to use the release trigger so the key release sample is played on "note off". I've got key release samples recorded for each of the 88 keys, and when my finger lifts off a particular key, the sound of the piano key's action falling back into place plays. "Clunk."

Great!

Except that the key release sample is NOT played is the sustain pedal is depressed. It's triggered by releasing the pedal, and that's not how a piano works in the real world.

The way the real piano works is this - the action falls back into resting position when you release the key, regardless of whether the sustain pedal is depressed or not.

So, here's what I WANT to do...

Two different release sample sets. One set of samples is triggered only when the key itself is released, and not on the "note off" generated by releasing the sustain pedal.

And another set of samples is released when the sustain pedal is released, that characteristic soft "thump" of the dampers landing back on the strings.

Is there a way to do this without without resorting to scripting? Looking through the rules options, I am beginning to think not...
danshouse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: release trigger questions

Post by danshouse »

At this point, I'm assuming that this is something that can only be accomplished with scripting.