Looking for Fazioli piano help

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

ahoutriet
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Looking for Fazioli piano help

Post by ahoutriet »

Hi,

I have a problem with the (very nice!) Fazioli piano. Loading works fine, and I can play it but at a minutes or so it it 'freezes'. It sounds like all notes are hold like using a sustain pedal. When I continu playing all notes are 'eaten' (polyfony) until 0 are left. After that M53 freezes and crashes.

This doesn't happen with all the other instruments and sounds. The other works all fine without cracks and pops, so my memory and soundcard seems to work ok.

Any thought what I can do to improve the Fazioli piano perfomance?
Reloading/reinstalling didn't help.

cheers,
Anton
PC i3 8GB RAM / Windows 10 64bit
Studio One 3 / MOTU MachFive 3 / Steinberg UR28M
Nibiru
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Looking for Fazioli piano help

Post by Nibiru »

Do you have Kontakt? It works great within that sampler. Sorry but that's all I got
Mac Mini M2 Pro - 16gb RAM - 500gb SSD | Apollo Twin Duo MkII | UAD Satellite x 2 (thunderbolt) | UAD plugins | Dell 2721QS Monitor | PMC Result 6 | DP 11.22 | Ableton | Luna
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Is it possible there's a stuck Control 64 somewhere else in your DAW? Or perhaps it is somehow inverting your sustain pedal. Running up the polyphony of the piano to max is probably slamming your CPU.

Using a MIDI monitor (there's a free app of the same name) can help you track whether your sustain pedal is functioning correctly. I wonder if you rebooted everything (after removing your sustain pedal) if the problem would change.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
ahoutriet

Post by ahoutriet »

Thanks for the replies.

I am sure there is no 'hidden' control 64 send. I tried different sustainpedals and even a different controller. So I think it's a dataflow in the computer that goes wrong. All other instruments and sounds works fine in M53.

Maybe it's because this instrument is 3GB large? It's one of the biggest ufs files for M53 on my drive. Could it be lack of memory? I have 4GB RAM in my computer. It's not much but it's the maximum my pc takes.

@Nibiru: I did't know Kontakt can load M53 files?

Still finding my way but I love M53 very much.

cheers,
Anton
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It sounds like you are getting close to some ideas for solutions.

The first big one is why the Fazoli misreads your sustain pedal. There might be a setting on the UI of the instrument itself that might be able to resolve that.

The next big one is that you have 4 GB RAM and are trying to run a big instrument. Look at Kontakts docs about ways to change the drive/streaming/RAM & other settings to make it run as efficiently as possible.

Could be you are demanding more than the hardware can take. However, that reversed sustain pedal seems to be a first one.

On the UI of the fazoli does it show a graphic of the sustain pedal status? If you press your pedal does it change?
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

stubbsonic wrote: The next big one is that you have 4 GB RAM and are trying to run a big instrument.
Touchdown. Game over.

I just assume people have lots of RAM when they run intensive programs. This ain't GarageBand anymore. LOL...
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
ahoutriet

Post by ahoutriet »

Better get a new computer then :?

cheers,
Anton
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Or more RAM.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Look at Kontakts docs about ways to change the drive/streaming/RAM & other settings to make it run as efficiently as possible.
I think the OP said he's using MachFive. The MachFive "Getting Started" manual recommends at least 8G RAM.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8