Is there any way that M5 can resample its own output?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

crduval
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is there any way that M5 can resample its own output?

Post by crduval »

Hi - looking for some advice from experienced sample jockeys…

I created a sound using the IRCAM stretch oscillator from a trilling bird call I recorded. I used ircam stretch to keep the trill even across the keymap and do some pitch shifting and looping. So far so good. I now want to layer it with a second oscillator to create a pad. However the IRCAM stretch oscillator uses a lot of CPU power; so much so on my older MP that I can only play a few notes and I begin to hear artifact (even at the highest buffer setting).

I read through the manual hoping I could find a way to have M5 sample its own output so that I could rapidly build a new program of the IRCAM processed samples, but didn't see a way to do it. I think the only way to do it is to play various processed single note samples into a DP audio track, then bring them back into M5 to build up a new program.

Am I missing something? Is there a quicker way to do this? And, if this is the way to go about it, how do I keep my loop points?

Any help appreciated - I'm enjoying working with this tool and learning more about it, but this is a little bit of a roadblock for me.

Help appreciated, thanks!

Regards,

Chris
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
Sampleconstruct

Re: Is there any way that M5 can resample its own output?

Post by Sampleconstruct »

No, you're not missing anything, as most "samplers" these days M5 can't sample, and their is no audio input available, so go the old school route and create/render wavs, cut them up, build a map and so on.
crduval

Post by crduval »

Thanks very much for the reply, I appreciate it. My Kurzweil can sample its own outputs, that was always a neat feature and I was hoping it might be available, but oh well…

I'm going to see if I can save off individual key mapped samples as raw samples that I can later re-import into a new sample oscillator - maybe that will save me some time…
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
billf

Post by billf »

crduval wrote:Thanks very much for the reply, I appreciate it. My Kurzweil can sample its own outputs, that was always a neat feature and I was hoping it might be available, but oh well…

I'm going to see if I can save off individual key mapped samples as raw samples that I can later re-import into a new sample oscillator - maybe that will save me some time…
I'm not certain, but the app Samplit might be a solution.
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1