Using M5 SEARCH crashes ProTools

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

ewillhelm
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Using M5 SEARCH crashes ProTools

Post by ewillhelm »

So I'm noticing whenever I try to use the SEARCH function in M5 (v3.2.1) as an RTAS plug in ProTools (10.3.8), it causes a crash. I got it to sort of work ONCE, and it started indexing volumes, but then it came to a step (1 of 2, it said) and froze at 3%. So I quit and restarted, and now I'm back to merely crashing every time. And this is on a 2X2.66GHZ dual-core MacPro 1,1 running 10.7.5, with 10GB RAM. Anyone know what's up here? I'm guessing this will be a dead in the water post as I haven't found anyone else seeming to have the problem! But onward I trudge!
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using M5 SEARCH crashes ProTools

Post by mikehalloran »

Unfortunately, anything involving OS 10.7.x and crashing... if not experienced by a lot of people, that's going to be tricky. The cure for OS 10.7 was 10.8.2 and newer.

But, let's give it a try:

You have not given us any information that can help.

What does the crash report say? Are there any error messages?

If none and, since it is repeatable, what is happening in Console while this is going on? It will probably be the same thing every time.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

This is also happening to me in standalone mode. I set the M5 (3.2.1 64-bit) preferences to auto-load my various Soundbanks. As soon as I click on "Search" at the top of the browser, M5 crashes.
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Bon ami...

Just tried it in standalone (64 bit) and got this:

A few volumes report unable to mount - probably the other VIs in the directory with different formats, extensions, etc.

Do you guys have indexing turned off on your macs? A lot of folks do that and claim better performance. I don't see a difference once it's indexed. After several minutes, M5 is still indexing and I'll let it finish (duh!). But it hasn't crashed yet... I don't use search much from within M5... obviously.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

All done. Searched again - what a great feature... LOL. I should have indexed that years ago. I probably did but moved to the MP and haven't used search since. But it is working great here.

What is this "pro tool" you speak of... ☺ (j/k) :unicorn:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bkshepard

Post by bkshepard »

Hey MLC,

Yes, I have it indexed. I just discovered the preference that lets you auto load all the various soundbanks. Unfortunately, if I click on any of the search functions, it instantly crashes. I've submitted a Tech Note to MOTU including the crash log. As for the "Pro" Tools, I didn't want to start a new thread since this seems to be pretty much the same issue. I'm a faithful DPer. :)
-Brian

Mac M1 Ultra 20-core, OS 14.3.1, 128 GB RAM, DP 11.3.1, UA Apollo x6