for Guitar players..... how to?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

artfarm1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

for Guitar players..... how to?

Post by artfarm1 »

Hi all guitar players who may also be users of sample-based instruments.

I could ask some guitar player friends these questions (whom I would use on my final product because I don't believe that we can truly replicate what a great guitar player can do.... and I say that as a trombone player who hates some of the 'music' that has passed for brass playing as produced by uninformed 'musicians'....)

Anyways, I use MachFive 3, and am starting to investigate the 'Telecaster' instrument.

I'd like to get a good 'modern Nashville, rockin' guitar sound' for some short demos, without having to bother a great but busy guitar player friend of mine at this point in the process.

And, I'd like to educate myself as to what to ask of a good studio guitar player.

Think of the sound of a guitar player/prodcucer like Dan Huff.... and his productions and the work he does with people like 'The Band Perry'.... think of the song 'Done', or something like that.

He has the guitar sounds that I'd want to emulate if I was a guitar player myself!

Questions from a brass player:
- with an instrument like the MachFive Telecaster, should I start choosing 'amps' first; then looking at pedals/efx.... or vice versa?
- any good starting points or recommendations?
- any other good libraries that you'd recommend to check out, like EastWest Ministry of Rock, etc.?

Thanks for any starting points!
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: for Guitar players..... how to?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

FWIW, I'd start with the general sound (amps) and add the FX pedals, etc., to that. Maybe some other members might help on the other questions?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Am checking out all the pedals, FX, amps, etc. in DP.

Feeling like a 'semi-guitar' player!

But just wanted to mention the East-West 'Ministry of Rock 2' package in case anyone is unfamiliar with it.

Amazing for demos.

Amazing sounds for the rhythm section, and guitar playing that moves between legato, picking, etc. with the mod wheel.

(Don't worry James!..... your instrument is safe in the hands of real guitar players!)
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I usually play all the guitar parts, but recently used the Mach Five telecaster in a couple of songs where the composer wrote a part that is physically impossible on a guitar. I wouldn't use it at all (or any other emulated or sampled guitar) in a part that is prominent in the song, only in a background part that peeks through now and then. When I've used it, it seemed best to work with the neck pickup factory setting, and get it as good as possible with no additional amps or effects, and then add some eq, amp and effect settings during the mixing. I haven't been able to get a convincing sound yet out of the bridge pickup settings.

The next time I do this, I'm going to try re-amping through a Vox amp to see if that helps with the bridge pickup sound and gets closer to the sound of a real guitar.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

Thanks for the ideas!
DP 11, OS Ventura