Giving Mach 5v.2 to a colleague

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gavspen »

A friend of mine is thinking of making the switch to DP. He's using the 30 day demo right now. If I were to give him my old Mach 5 v.2 discs to install and play with, who can tell me what's involved to get a second iLok and get the authorization for Mach 5 v.2 off my iLok and onto the new one. Is it even do-able? And if it is, what about Mavericks? Compatibility problems, maybe?

Thanks
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Giving Mach 5v.2 to a colleague

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You will probably be violating you EULA by distributing MachFive. If you want to be "legal" you should call MOTU and ask there. A second license requires a second purchase AFAIK. Just lending an iLok probably isn't illegal, "loaning" the discs would violate the license if I understand it correctly.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

Any new iLok would be still yours. You can loan it to anyone you like, but they couldn't administer it. iLok authorizations can be sold via iLok.com. (Also, transfers between your own iLoks happen via their software.)

Since it's iLok protected it's probably totally kosher to sell/give it away (that's the whole idea behind iLok, it turns software into a unique, non-copyable thing like anything else, that then can be sold.) I'm sure MOTU can help. Your friend is going to want to be registered if he ends up liking it anyway, so it's a good idea to get them involved.

BUT: re. compatibility, don't know if you can run MachFive v2 in Mavericks. I do seem to remember it's not 64bit, so it can only run in a 32bit DAW environment. That means no DP8, which your friend must be using, since it's the first version to offer a demo. *Maybe* you can use a wrapper like 32Lives, but not sure how well that would work...
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Kubi wrote:Any new iLok would be still yours. You can loan it to anyone you like, but they couldn't administer it. iLok authorizations can be sold via iLok.com. (Also, transfers between your own iLoks happen via their software.)

Since it's iLok protected it's probably totally kosher to sell/give it away (that's the whole idea behind iLok, it turns software into a unique, non-copyable thing like anything else, that then can be sold.) I'm sure MOTU can help. Your friend is going to want to be registered if he ends up liking it anyway, so it's a good idea to get them involved.

BUT: re. compatibility, don't know if you can run MachFive v2 in Mavericks. I do seem to remember it's not 64bit, so it can only run in a 32bit DAW environment. That means no DP8, which your friend must be using, since it's the first version to offer a demo. *Maybe* you can use a wrapper like 32Lives, but not sure how well that would work...
Whilst I'm sure you're correct that M5v.2 isnt 64bit, I'm still using DP8 in a 32bit environment, so if Mavericks can be started up 32bit he should be fine, right? No wrapper needed. (I'm still in the stone age with 10.6.8 and I dont want to upgrade (yet) since I will loose TC Powercore.)

To MLC: I'm not looking for a second license, but rather to give him mine, at which point M5v.2 wouldnt run on my rig. But you're both right, I should just call MOTU.

Thanks
MIDI Life Crisis

Sorry. Misunderstood but have you tried M5-3?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Kubi

Post by Kubi »

gavspen wrote:
Whilst I'm sure you're correct that M5v.2 isnt 64bit, I'm still using DP8 in a 32bit environment, so if Mavericks can be started up 32bit he should be fine, right? No wrapper needed. (I'm still in the stone age with 10.6.8 and I dont want to upgrade (yet) since I will loose TC Powercore.
Ah of course! I forgot that DP8 can start up in 32 bits, never used it that way. To MachFive 2 it doesn't matter if the OS is in 64 or 32 bits, only the DAW does.

Of course, I'm all 64bits now and never looking back...
Kubi
---------------------------------------------------
Kubilay Uner
http://kubilayuner.com
MacPro 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 20GB RAM; OS 10.9.5; DP9.01; MOTU 2408mk3 & MIDI Express 128 w/latest drivers
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Sorry. Misunderstood but have you tried M5-3?
Sure, I have and use M5-3, which is why I figure I can give him my M5.2 and the license to run it. I mean, it's two different licenses on the same iLok, right? At least that's how it looks when I look at my iLok account.

By the way, it seems there is no phone support or live chat, or anything for iLok, just an endless string of FAQs which, of course, never exactly answer the question you need answered. What a pain!
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

Kubi wrote:
gavspen wrote:
Whilst I'm sure you're correct that M5v.2 isnt 64bit, I'm still using DP8 in a 32bit environment, so if Mavericks can be started up 32bit he should be fine, right? No wrapper needed. (I'm still in the stone age with 10.6.8 and I dont want to upgrade (yet) since I will loose TC Powercore.
Ah of course! I forgot that DP8 can start up in 32 bits, never used it that way. To MachFive 2 it doesn't matter if the OS is in 64 or 32 bits, only the DAW does.

Of course, I'm all 64bits now and never looking back...
Well, arent you something..... :wink:

I'm not sure I understand what you said there. Are you saying that one can run the OS in 64 bits, and at the same time have DP run 32? Hey! maybe that's what I'm doing! And certainly you need to run DP in 32 bit mode to run a 32 bit plug (like M5-2), right?
MIDI Life Crisis

If you upgraded from ver 2 you accessed the license for the upgrade path. Essentially it's considered part of your ver 2 purchase AFAIK. Maybe MOTU will see it differently but again, my understanding of the EULA is you can't sell off the original license after simply upgrading.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If you upgraded from ver 2 you accessed the license for the upgrade path. Essentially it's considered part of your ver 2 purchase AFAIK. Maybe MOTU will see it differently but again, my understanding of the EULA is you can't sell off the original license after simply upgrading.
That's right. Same licence. Otherwise, you'd have to pay the full price for update from V2 to V3 rather than the lower upgrade price.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bayswater wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:If you upgraded from ver 2 you accessed the license for the upgrade path. Essentially it's considered part of your ver 2 purchase AFAIK. Maybe MOTU will see it differently but again, my understanding of the EULA is you can't sell off the original license after simply upgrading.
That's right. Same licence. Otherwise, you'd have to pay the full price for update from V2 to V3 rather than the lower upgrade price.
According to MOTU it's do-able. As I look at my iLok account I see two distinct licenses, one for v.2, one for v.3 (there's actually another one, "MachFive for Macintosh" dated the same day as the v.2 license. Dont know what that is), and they (MOTU) tell me that you pay a $25 fee and transfer the license to the other user's account, all at the iLok website.

Then I had the bright idea to ask if v.2 is compatible with Mavericks, and no, it isnt. Well, my day just got a lot simpler..... :lol: :lol:

G.

P.S. I do understand what you're saying about the upgrade path issue. If I didnt pay full price for two licenses, how can I have one to give away? Apparently at MOTU they dont mind.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

gavspen wrote:P.S. I do understand what you're saying about the upgrade path issue. If I didnt pay full price for two licenses, how can I have one to give away? Apparently at MOTU they dont mind.
Interesting. That means there is no need to ever pay full price for the products affected, as long as you know someone who has an upgraded version.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bayswater wrote:
gavspen wrote:P.S. I do understand what you're saying about the upgrade path issue. If I didnt pay full price for two licenses, how can I have one to give away? Apparently at MOTU they dont mind.
Interesting. That means there is no need to ever pay full price for the products affected, as long as you know someone who has an upgraded version.
You mean as in, you use his/her old license to buy your upgrade? No, that wont work. They told me my friend would be able to use my old M5 v.2 but it would not be a properly registered version. No tech support, no upgrade path, etc.
MIDI Life Crisis

So basically, even if your friend can't upgrade, you can sell it to them or anyone else if you've upgraded and got a new serial #? Well dang, I've got a few copies of DP for sale, along with M5, and a ton of other stuff. The only person getting screwed is the new owner, especially if they paid the previous owner. So I can fund my updates at MOTU by selling off my previous licenses? Because if that works for ilok'ed software it should work for all their products.

I'm off to Craig's List, EBay, and everywhere else I can find a sucker to unload my old programs on at a profit.

I'd love to hear what MagicD has to say about that.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So basically, even if your friend can't upgrade, you can sell it to them or anyone else if you've upgraded and got a new serial #? Well dang, I've got a few copies of DP for sale, along with M5, and a ton of other stuff. The only person getting screwed is the new owner, especially if they paid the previous owner. So I can fund my updates at MOTU by selling off my previous licenses? Because if that works for ilok'ed software it should work for all their products.

I'm off to Craig's List, EBay, and everywhere else I can find a sucker to unload my old programs on at a profit.

I'd love to hear what MagicD has to say about that.
I dont know about DP itself I didnt ask, but there's obviously more room for abuse where copy protection relies, basically, on the honor system as opposed to the iLok. Only one person at a time can use my old version of M5, but you might sell your old DP and still have a usable version on your computer. Not sure why you'd want to use it if you had the upgrade, but still.....
Last edited by gavspen on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.