MachFive Documentation

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MachFive Documentation

Post by bayswater »

Has anyone come across any useful "how to" documents for M5? The manual is fine as far as it goes, but gets a bit thin when you get to topics like layer rules, basic scripting, and how to do it. The UVI documentation covers LUA thoroughly, but doesn't provide enough basics to get things started, and I can't even figure out whether I need LUA to do what I want. Something between the two would be great.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
FMiguelez

Re: MachFive Documentation

Post by FMiguelez »

The only documentation for MF3 that I've come across are the Groove3 video tutorial and Mac Pro Video one. And MOTU's videos and manuals, of course. While those do cover basic layers rules, it's just a brush up. Not much detail.
Other than that, for more advanced stuff like you obviously want with integrating LUA, I haven't seen anything at all.

Are you looking at LUA to achieve anything specific, or do you just want to experiment and see what it does?

I once thought about learning some of it myself, but I discovered I could manage most of my current needs with simple layers and keyswitches alone (which work great, BTW).
My MachFive mini template includes a program with empty pre-assigned layers and keyswitches, so when I want to add a sound to any of them I just drag it there and everything's ready.
I haven't felt the need for more than that so far, but I'm sure there must be lots of hidden potential power right there!

Has anyone ever messed with it? It does sound very interesting, but I'm not even sure how much we can expect from LUA. It would be great to see some nice examples in action too!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I probably only need the more basic things.. I set up keyswitching between parts in a performance, and then tried to do the same thing using keyswitching between layers, e.g. Tympani rolls and Tympani hits seems like a pretty obvious one that doesn't come as a preset. I couldn't get it to work following the manual, and hoped there would be something out there that would give more detailed view of rules and basics of scripting.

I'm sure I can plug away at it and get it to work, but it would nice if there was something out there that gets you to the next stage quickly.
a_bugaichuk
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by a_bugaichuk »

Hi
Maybe now someone did some manual for MF3? (except video) Not necessarily in pdf. Maybe html page or chm, or simply scanned pages from paper edition?
How many pages in this book?
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

I think this is the kind of link you're looking for:

http://www.lua.org/pil/
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/
http://www.uvi.net/uviscript/
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
a_bugaichuk

Post by a_bugaichuk »

corbo-billy wrote:I think this is the kind of link you're looking for:

http://www.lua.org/pil/
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/
http://www.uvi.net/uviscript/
No no, i do not need docs about scripts yet, i want know all exactly about MF3 (hotkeys, work with keygroups\layers etc).
Just i bought MF3 license without box, and dont have physical manual unfortunately.
billf

Post by billf »

MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
a_bugaichuk

Post by a_bugaichuk »

billf No, thanks, I know that there are video lessons, but that's because I wrote above "except video", in writing form easier for me to perceive nuances (video usually require better knowledge of English).
I see that the request for manual is not rare, thus it would be nice if there would be a MF3 box user with the scanner (so I asked - how many pages in the paper manual).
It would be one person from the entire planet earth that put an end to this little problem. :)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

a_bugaichuk wrote:It would be one person from the entire planet earth that put an end to this little problem.:)
A difficult problem. Not easy to figure out Mach Five without the documentation.

The printed manual comes with Mach Five. You might want to ask the person you acquired the license from if they can give it to you, or if not, contact MOTU and see if they can supply one.

You'll probably find that people here are not willing to violate the copyright by making a copy of the manual.
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

bayswater wrote: contact MOTU and see if they can supply one.
+1 _ If your Machfive is registred to MOTU, this should not be a problem .
But who can sell MachFive without manual :?:
Last edited by corbo-billy on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imac M1 24" under Monterey 12.7 & Kontakt 7.6. _ Fireface800 X 2 _ FilterBank2 Sherman & Gibson Explorer Pro _ MIDI Express XT _ Virus C Desktop _ Adrenalinn III & Voyager Moog _ SpeakerPhone 2 _ PolyEvolver Keyboard _ Tempest _ D.P. 11.22 _
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

corbo-billy wrote:
bayswater wrote: contact MOTU and see if they can supply one.
+1 _ If your Machfive is registred to MOTU, this should not be a problem .
But who can sell MachFive without manual :?:

:arrrr:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
corbo-billy

Post by corbo-billy »

:wink:
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Seriously, when the request is for a PDF of the printed manual you know either someone is using a pirated version or got royally screwed in a purchase. :unicorn: :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
a_bugaichuk

Post by a_bugaichuk »

2 corbo-billy, MIDI Life Crisis

Excuse me, I will explain. The reason is very simple - between Russia and America is very large distance. And of course, if you can get the product in downloadable form (from hands), you are unlikely to want to bother with the postage.
Thus no sense write to support about, unlikely they will scan the user manual for me personally.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

a_bugaichuk wrote:2 corbo-billy, MIDI Life Crisis

Excuse me, I will explain. The reason is very simple - between Russia and America is very large distance. And of course, if you can get the product in downloadable form (from hands), you are unlikely to want to bother with the postage.
Thus no sense write to support about, unlikely they will scan the user manual for me personally.
Oh, so it's not a legal copy. That's that then.