Mach 5 Extreme FX Preview

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Mach 5 Extreme FX Preview

Post by BKK-OZ »

bayswater wrote:If it's a sound library then the existing audition function I mentioned at the start of this exercise should work. Huh?
Yep, its just that you need to load each patch fully before hearing it (unless you know something I don't - not unheard of!).

On some (not all) other VI's/samplers, you can scroll through the patch/sample/preset list (typically using the down arrow key) and audition without having extra steps for loading/unloading. At least, that is how I typically work with them.

Some auditioning schemes are better than others. For example, U-he's Filterscape (and his other synths) allow you to keep the patch browser window open, just using the arrow keys loads each patch, no extra clicking or unclicking. Same with Absynth. Linplug's synths on the other hand close the browser window as you load a sample (so you can't see where you are in the patch list), and you have to use the GUI's toggle arrows to load new patches, without being able to see where you are in the patch list.

Of course, like other VI's, you need to have a MIDI track feeding into M5 as well so it has something triggering the sounds. This last point may actually be what the OP was after in terms of help.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
a_bugaichuk
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by a_bugaichuk »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:So you are capable of intelligible English. It would appear we are being scammed. If not (and I apologize if offense was taken by the one possible assumption on my part) then the discussion is below my pay grade - or at least my tolerance.
Okay, I'm sorry dude if i did offend about something.
I understand now what caused the misunderstanding of the OP question (same as my above opuses). When he asked about Xtreme-FX, people just didn't know what is it ? But how is it possible, it is unclear (in such a long time presence on the forum and the number of posts). After all, this library comes with MF3 by default.

I begin to feel more and more that I really do not understand something in English.
Last edited by a_bugaichuk on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don't have it in front of me at the moment, and won't be able to have a look for a few days, but seem to recall an option for auditioning while browsing. One shot? Probably not. Maybe it's just for samples not patches.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Recently Live 9, which can be seen as a glorified sampler, added this feature to the browser. A note of the sound or sample library is played when you select it in the browser.

Most samplers I know of don't do this, and for larger sample files it would really be worth it to add. Thing is with Solid State Drives coming down in Price I don't see MachFive3 or Kontakt etc. adding this feature.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I was thinking of the auditioning function on page 129. But you have to feed it some MIDI to get a sound.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8