New Mach 5 version causing system wide stuck notes

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Mach 5 version causing system wide stuck notes

Post by toodamnhip »

Well, here’s what’s happening.

I am getting terrible stuck notes in VE Pro and it all started with Mach 5, in the latest update, with the new Mach 5 samples installed.

1) After a long day without much trouble, but occasional Mach 5 glitches, Mach 5 started holding notes in a very specific way where all it’s notes would sustain as if I was holding down controller 64. Even staccato bass notes were sustaining. Re loading Mach 5 and even trashing it out of VE Pro and making a new one helped for awhile but it got more and more chronic.

2) I decided to take M 5 out of VE Pro and to put Mach 5 into DP. This solved the note sticks but I noticed the CPU drain was higher, showing VE Pro more efficient than DP on MOTU’s own VI. (That’s why I have been forced to use VE Pro at all)///well, that;s another story...to continue...
3) After some more work went by, Ve Pro became really unstable with stuck notes happening so bad, I couldn’t work.
After awhile, I wondered if problematic Mach 5 could be the “culprit”, so , I turned it off.
4) Things vastly improved with the horn section stuck notes in VE Pro, (Kontakt).
Though not perfect, ( there are still occasional stuck notes), it’s WAY better.
5) I turned Mach 5 back on and the problem reappeared again, very badly. And the way the notes are sticking really reminds me of how the bass notes were sticking in Mach 5, a kind of strange sustain as if controller 64 is being held, but even worse with the horns as with the bass, the bass notes would fade, the horns just hang and overlap on each other. I am wondering if there is some funky under the hood communication going on with Mach 5 that is affecting the rest of the MIDI...?

So there is the data. It seems like Mach 5 INSIDE DP or inside VE Pro, is causing terrible stuck notes in Kontakt, which is inside VE Pro.

Anyone have a fix? I might try to get back to the old mach 5 since I have all the old installers, including the old samples...but I’d rather stay current of possible.
Hope Magic D is reading and can maybe chime in on this. I wanna like this product.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
jloeb

Re: New Mach 5 version causing system wide stuck notes

Post by jloeb »

I'm interested in how this turns out as well.

I haven't purchased M5v3 but was about to, and need to know that it can work alongside Kontakt 5, in which I'm already heavily invested, without trouble.
toodamnhip

Re: New Mach 5 version causing system wide stuck notes

Post by toodamnhip »

jloeb wrote:I'm interested in how this turns out as well.

I haven't purchased M5v3 but was about to, and need to know that it can work alongside Kontakt 5, in which I'm already heavily invested, without trouble.
Well, it is hard to beta test/trouble shoot while:
1) Not being an official MOTU beta tester,,,I have asked and offered my assistance for yrs, to no avail. (Even offered to stop coming to the forum for more security for MOTU).
2) Making a record.

But I am doing my best to get to the bottom of this problem.

A) Things improved with Mach 5 off and bounced to audio, (I even had to pull it completely OUT of the session file.)

B) I still get some stuck notes, sometimes bad, so it is not the 100% “culprit”.

C) I will next go BACK to DP 8.05 to see if things improve when I next work in the studio.
We will see if stuck notes improve yet again.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc