A few questions before I plug the trigger on Machfive

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

ftr
Primary DAW OS: Windows

A few questions before I plug the trigger on Machfive

Post by ftr »

Hi, I'm seriously considering purchasing machfive but would like to get a couple of things straight in my head before taking the plunge.

1) I know you can modulate the Filters and other Keygroup parameters with LFOs and EG's but can you also modulate the fx, say reverb or delay time from LFOs and EG's etc. The vids on the website suggest you can but a I cannot seem to find a pdf manual anywhere to confirm this. This is one of the main things that attract me as I will be using MF3 for sound design duties mostly. If possible are there any limitations to this?

2) I currently use Cubase 7 and Live 9 on Windows 7 64 bit and was wondering if there are any issues using the ilok and e-licenser dongle on the same system?. Also are there any issues with performance with Cubase/Live or Windows I should know about?

I am currently using halion 4 but find it a bit fiddly for some stuff (although less fiddly than kontakt) the work flow in MF3 seems right up my ally.

If any one could shed some light on the above questions it would be appreciated.

Cheers.
hugy
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: A few questions before I plug the trigger on Machfive

Post by hugy »

1) Yes. Still you need to understand the difference with per Voice FX and global FX. Global FX can be modulated with LFO but not ADSR as there is no trigger/release logic.
Some FX do not support smooth modulation for some parameters, Reverb time is one example.

2) Not that I know of.
ftr

Post by ftr »

Hi hugy,

Thanks for the response. Are there any resources available that explain the voice architecture? What I want to be able to do is modulate say distortion amount, filter cut off and delay w/d or (time) from an envelope (or other source) would this be possible with voice fx but not global?

cheers
hugy

Post by hugy »

ftr wrote:Hi hugy,

Thanks for the response. Are there any resources available that explain the voice architecture? What I want to be able to do is modulate say distortion amount, filter cut off and delay w/d or (time) from an envelope (or other source) would this be possible with voice fx but not global?

cheers
disto and filter per voice make sense.
Delay, way less
But you can still modulate it, but there will be no notion of trigger/release

For the diff between per voice and global FX, it's easy:
Per voice FX are FX applied in parallel with one FX for each note while global FX are Bus FX.
ftr

Post by ftr »

Ok, thanks for the info
egelmett

Post by egelmett »

I have no issues with iLok and eLicenser running at the same time. Completely transparent.