How easy is scripting for CC#02 (Breath Control)

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

rawl747
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How easy is scripting for CC#02 (Breath Control)

Post by rawl747 »

I am considering getting Mach 5 but before I make the leap I would like some info that their site and Google searches are just not answering. If MOTU offered a download of the manual, I would just read it for my answers but unlike for my MOTU MIDI Express XT, they don't seem to offer a download for their s/w manuals.

For s/w samplers, I currently have Kontakt v5, Emulator X v2 & v3, and SampleTank v2.5XL and beside several MIDI keyboard synths I also have several MIDI windcontrollers that generate a CC#02 (MIDI Continuous Controller #02 or breath control) signal that is used to control primarily the amplitude of a sample patch but also can be used to control other aspects of the patch such as tone via other parameters.

In the past I have successfully adapted a number of out of the box patches to use CC#02 and s/w samplers really vary in how easy they make this process. Kontakt which is currently my main sampler synth really requires you to get into scripting at least for their more complicated (and realistic) wind instrument emulations in order to get much results tweaking for CC#02 and their scripting interface is not what I consider very straight forward.

So, my question is: How easy is it to create Mach 5 scripts and use them to control how patches sound especially using MIDI CC signals in real time such as from a MIDI windcontroller?

If anyone is also familiar with Kontakt's scripting engine and programming interface and can share a comparison that would be great.

I am also curious as to how good the new version of Mach 5 is to import patches from other formats such as Emu and Emulator X, SampleTank & Kontakt. I have Chicken Systems Translator but if Mach 5 will import these directly and accurately that saves a lot of time and Translator will not read SampleTank patches anyway as they are encrypted.

Any response to my questions are greatly appreciated!

Rawl
rawl