Mach 5 distortion?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

rockitcity
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mach 5 distortion?

Post by rockitcity »

I upgraded to Mach 5 v3 (and recently 3.2) a while ago, but haven't really played with it much. I opened it up last night and all the samples are distorted. It sounds like a digital clocking error, but I have no indication that is the case. Setup is pretty simple, just an 8 pre FW on internal clock. Audio through it sounds fine.

Do I need to upgrade all the samples since I upgraded to v3.2? The download is pretty massive. Sample are stored on my 2nd SSD in my Mac mini. It's an i7 2.6 with 16 GB RAM so I don't think the computer should be the problem. I am on 32 bit operation if that matters. Any ideas? Thanks.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Mach 5 distortion?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Have you updated your audio drivers? Repaired permissions?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rockitcity

Post by rockitcity »

What are you doing up so early? Thanks for the reply. Have updated drivers, haven't done permissions. Will try that tonight.
Mac Mini Quad i7 2.6 Ghz, 16 G RAM, 2 SSD's. Motu 896 HD Hybrid, 8pre, Fastlane USB, Presonus Faderport, vintage guitars!
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

rockitcity wrote:What are you doing up so early? Thanks for the reply. Have updated drivers, haven't done permissions. Will try that tonight.
I'm married to an elementary school teacher. I did catch another 40 winks since posting.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
rockitcity

Re: Mach 5 distortion? Resolved!

Post by rockitcity »

Just an update to close this thread: Turns out my 8pre that I had only been using as an ADAT converter into my 896 HD Hybrid (which I just sent off to have the display screen repaired) has a bad analog output that was causing the distortion. I hooked up everything into my old Traveler interface and all is good. Guess I'll look into getting the 8 pre repaired next.

The 896 and 8pre were both items I got off Craigs list at pretty good prices. I'm happy to say that MOTU is repairing the 896 display under warranty even though I didn't buy it new. Maybe the sellers knew something was up? Oh well, you get what you pay for.

Mach 5 is working fine.