MachFive 3.2 Released - Download yours now!!

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

b-righteous
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: MachFive 3.2 Released - Download yours now!!

Post by b-righteous »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:When I installed the new UFS files today, I kept a backup of the old files on an external HD. Tonight I loaded several banks side by side and the files that were 44.1k/24bit in the previous version (2011 as I recall) are 44.1k/24bit in the new version (2013). Yes, there are some 44.1k/16bit samples, especially in some percussion sounds, but they were the same rate in both versions.

So from what I could gather in about 30 minutes of loading instruments from both new and old UFS files is that they are identical sample rates. No compromises. Perhaps someone is seeing 44/16 and thinking it has changed? One is advised not to believe everything they think.
You are correct. My apologies to everyone here and MOTU for the false alarm. Not sure how I mixed this up, could have swore I saw that for two of the Libraries. Next time I will get more rest I must have been seeing things. :oops:
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by James Steele »

That's good to know. I didn't think MOTU would do something like that without notifying users. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
b-righteous

Post by b-righteous »

Glad I was wrong. I think I got mixed up thinking the original Telmatic was 24 bit and it was not. Also tried the Mark79 and swore I saw 16 bit there but maybe I still had the Telmatic focused. The 79 did go from 96k to 44k though but I do not think that is a bad thing.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
FMiguelez wrote:Nice!

I can't update now, but if someone does, could you check if MOTU has corrected the problem where the same sample gets loaded into RAM more than once?

For instance, if you load the Telematic program in 4 different parts, it should only take the RAM necessary for ONE instance, and then simply fire the samples on demand for the other parts (they already loaded once), instead of loading the same Telematic program x4 and wasting precious RAM... That means 4 GBs only instead of 20+ GBs for the same thing!

Yes? :)
Well, I didn't check the RAM usage, but selecting the same instrument in a multiple parts does go thru the motions of loading samples again (albeit faster the second time, as was the case in earlier version of M5) so I believe the answer is: no, the samples still load for each instrument and are not shared. But they are cached, perhaps, which is why they load faster. This was even true when I loaded the same sound from the ld and new UFS files.

Also, M5 now mounts all sound banks in the soundbanks list after the first part loads. I got quite a few "unable to mount" or "unable to load" (can't remember the exact wording) of some incompatible banks but have to research that a little more as they might be non-M5 banks in the same directory that M5 sees and very old M5-1 and M5-2 files that are still resident on the drive.
Thank you for checking that out, Mike.

Too bad it hasn't been fixed, or at least improved. I think that is a VERY important issue for MOTU to address...

Kontakt and VI Pro are smart enough to see what is already loaded and only load what needs to be, no need of wasting memory with repeated samples.

MOTU? :unicorn:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

b-righteous wrote:The 79 did go from 96k to 44k though but I do not think that is a bad thing.
That's interesting. In context though, I think you'd never hear that in a million years. Also one thing about bit depth. From what I understand many instrument developers normalize their samples and the variances in volume is likely happening due to the VI's internal mix engine? In which case, given that the real advantage to increased bit depth may be lower theoretical noise floor and more detail if you record something at a very low level, those qualities don't really enter into the creation of the raw samples used in a sample based instrument, do they? The requirements of a linear, actual audio track in DP's track overview, is a lot different than a sample embedded in a virtual instrument. The former you may hear, the latter, you won't.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Buckage

Post by Buckage »

This update also fixed a surround output issue. Before I wasn't able to get surround output from M5 in any sample rate other that 44.1. It was folding it down to a stereo output.

I haven't tried rates above 48k but it's now working very well and outputting properly with a 48k session.

Thanks MOTU!
Trash Can Mac (OSX Yosimite), DP 9.02/9.1, RedNet system (along with Raydat card to communicate with eurorack synths via Expert Sleepers ES3)
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Too bad it hasn't been fixed, or at least improved. I think that is a VERY important issue for MOTU to address...

Kontakt and VI Pro are smart enough to see what is already loaded and only load what needs to be, no need of wasting memory with repeated samples.
FM, I agree it would make sense to have one instance of samples loaded into RAM and be used by as many parts as you want. Perhaps the reason for Mach Five's approach is that it assumes you are streaming samples, in which case they would be streamed multiple times, one for each time a Keymap triggers them, so the actual RAM impact may not be all that big.

I wonder if there is a workaround? I haven't thought it through or tried it yet, but you can set up multiple Layers within a Part with each Layer addressing a common set of samples. You can use Key-switching to activate Parts within a Performance, but you can also use them to select Layers in a Part. So in theory, you could have multiple identical copies of a setup, each addressable independently, and one set of samples beneath all of them.

I don't think you would have any performance degradation compared to multiple Parts because everything would still be in a single instance of Mach Five whether you used one or several Parts.

This might not be feasible with something as complex as Telematic, or at best a nightmare, but it seems in principle, doable in general.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

Hi All,

I just downloaded and installed M5 3.2 following my upgrade to DP 8.05 and the result is M5 is now no longer available inside DP? That is, it's not in my (add track>instruments) list of MOTU instruments. I've installed the latest iLok software and M5 opens fine in standalone. So its a bit strange. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks
James
M1 Mac Mini - macOS 14 - DP11.23
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

You might want to post your machine and OS specs... people might not answer your question as quickly if they have to guess what you're using.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

oops yes thanks MIDI Life Crisis, I'm running DP8.05 in 64bit on a macbook pro 13" (2.8 GHz i7) 4GB Ram on OS X 10.8.5. M5 3.0.3 was running fine until I upgraded to 3.2 and now it nowhere to be seen within DP8.05
Thanks
James
jahjedi

Post by jahjedi »

So I went to the Audio Plug-ins preferences inside of DP8.05 and noticed MachFive was listed there but only as a VST plug - and it was disabled. I enabled it, restarted audio engine and MachFive is now available (obviously as a VST plug). Is MachFive 3.2 exclusively in VST format? Is this a change from previous iterations? These are probably silly questions so apologies in advance
Thanks
James
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

jahjedi wrote:oops yes thanks MIDI Life Crisis, I'm running DP8.05 in 64bit on a macbook pro 13" (2.8 GHz i7) 4GB Ram on OS X 10.8.5. M5 3.0.3 was running fine until I upgraded to 3.2 and now it nowhere to be seen within DP8.05
Thanks
James
What many of us do is go into the "User Control" panel on this site. Click the "Profile" tab across the top, then click "Edit signature" on the left and then put your info in your signature. That way it is automatically included at the bottom of every post. Sometimes it will make it easier for another member here to help you.

mwilloam

Post by mwilloam »

dix wrote:I'd be interested in that info. I haven't noticed a diff so far, but I haven't worked with it much yet. In fact some things seemed to sound better. ...they did until I read this thread anyway :)
I've been noticing some oddness in the Mark79 sounds since I recently started using the downloaded sound bank vs DVD. I can confirm that the download is 24/44.1 vs 24/96 on DVD. What's also weird is the newer download version seems to have some subtle glitches in notes, not sure why. I also noticed that the stock Mark79.M5p is different in the newer download, less in place in the LFO/ADR section. Perhaps that's why but, I dunno, kind of annoying.