Crossgrade general questions

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

tenfour
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Crossgrade general questions

Post by tenfour »

I am interested in purchasing the MachFive 3 Crossgrade, but I have questions about the process before I make the purchase.

What kind of proof do I need to provide? I have a very old version of Halion for example, but I doubt I can find the user manual so I may be left with just the DVDs and a serial number. How will I prove this?

How do I provide the required proof? By mailing something in? How long does this take? Is there an electronic option that might be faster? Will I be able to install and use the product in the meantime?

I would appreciate if someone could explain the whole scheme in better detail so I'm not investing in a bad surprise.

Thank you!
crduval

Re: Crossgrade general questions

Post by crduval »

When I bought the cross grade, I had to fax a copy of page one of my sample tank user manual to MOTU. I think I did this as part of the authorization process after install. I can't remember exactly now but MOTU may have waited to receive the fax before sending an authorization number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M2 MacBook Air, DP11, MOTU MX-4, MOTU Mach5, EWQLSO Platinum, Acoustic Samples B5, UAD Waterfall Organ, EWQL Platinum Pianos, UVI Falcon, UAD-2 Duo, MOTU Ultralite mk5, K2600XS controller
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I emailed the Logic 8 receipt from the Apple web store. Email or fax whatever you have that shows you have one of the qualifying products to Motu before you buy if you want to be sure. They're pretty reasonable.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
tenfour

Post by tenfour »

Indeed customer service was very reasonable and I was able to register the product no problem. Thanks!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I bought from Sweetwater as they have the crossgrade / competetive upgrade for $259. Clicking through the link at the top of these pages helps support Motunation.

If buying from a reseller, you send in the proof after you receive your software in the special envelope provided. Your serial number is generated after the fact and used only for registration, support and upgrade. You won't see it till you log into your user account on MOTU.com after you send it in. MOTU doesn't send anything back.

I put page one for Main Stage from Logic Studio 8 in the envelope. It turns out I had four qualifying products. The current version of Main Stage should work as it contains EXS24, one of the qualifying products. You would send a copy of your receipt since it is download only.

If you have a user account on the MOTU web site, make sure that you fill out the same info on the envelope so that Mach V will be linked correctly to your account. If you don't have a user account yet, create one.

You must have an ILOK (version 1 is what I have). Mach V installs without a serial number. The ILOK keys for it and the other included libraries are in the box. It was a bit awkward when I installed as the two library sets used two different ILOK authentication procedures but I figured it out without calling support.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:The ILOK keys for it and the other included libraries are in the box.
iLok keys were in the box? Just to be clear, you mean numbers printed on paper, right, not the actual iLoks? I bought Mach 5 the same way you did but didn't get iLok hardware with it.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

iLok keys were in the box? Just to be clear, you mean numbers printed on paper, right, not the actual iLoks? I bought Mach 5 the same way you did but didn't get iLok hardware with it
Yes!

The keys are the two numbers on each side of the card, one for MacFive3; the other Xtreme FX Library. You do not get a new iLok with MachFive.

I am so used to calling an unlock code a 'key' that I assume everyone does. Uh... waitaminute...

You log into two different web sites to register your iLok and activate everything. It's not intuitive but I figured it out eventually.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I'm one of those who plays the competitive upgrade game whenever possible. Sometimes I will purchase something I don't need or a discontinued version just to get a lower price on a license I do. Nothing quite irks me like paying full price because the project demands it now and I'm in a hurry.

Main Stage 3 is now available from the App store for 29.99. This has EXS24 unlike Logic Pro 9. (Logic Studio contained Main Stage). Logic Pro X does have ESX24 again.

Here's the list from MOTU.com:

Ableton Sampler
EastWest Play
Emulator X2
EXS24 (any version)
GigaStudio (any version)
HALion
Independence
Kontakt (any version)
Quantum Leap Goliath
Reason NN-XT
SampleTank
Structure

Again, if you purchase the upgrade from a reseller such as Sweetwater, you will receive a fully functioning product (you must own an iLok). You send your qualifying proof to MOTU after you receive your software to receive support. See my earlier posts.

From Sweetwater. This list is slightly different than the one on MOTU's web site.

To qualify for this reduced price crossgrade, you must be able to provide proof-of-registration for one of the following products:
Ableton Live
Akai MPC Studio
EastWest Play
E-MU Emulator X2
Apple Logic (any version with the EXS24)
GigaStudio (any version)
Steinberg HALion
KVR Yellow Tools Independence
Native Instruments Kontakt (any version)
Quantum Leap Goliath
Propellorhead Reason
IK Multimedia SampleTank
Avid Structure

BTW, I'm not shilling for Sweetwater here. I do buy from them by clicking through the banner as it helps support this site. When it's six of one or half a dozen of the other, that makes it an easy choice.
jbrown3318
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by jbrown3318 »

How long did it take for them to process your crossgrade? I ordered from Sweetwater and sent the mail slip in via postage from Maryland to MA on Sunday night. Tonight is Friday. Nothing. I called last night, and the service man that fielded my call said that he didn't receive anything. However, he did know my login which was weird. I ripped out two manual pages (Sampletank and Kontakt) and sent that in.

He then said via email, "Let me know what you are thinking". And asked me what did I want to do. Uhm, I have no choice but to wait for them to get the snail mail and register my MachFive 3.0.1 Although I installed it, it will not play alot of my 3rd party ufs files. Companies like GospelMusicians told me that I had to upgrade to 3.2. But I can't until I get registered.

The serviceman said that I may have to send in yet another form of manual pages to verify. But this time, I will probably send it overnight mail and get it certified to request a signature. So far not the best experience as a newcomer to Motu software products.

Should I worry or be patient? Can't really use my software to its fully ability this weekend. Will wait and call again on Monday or Tuesday. :(
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Why can't you upgrade to 3.2? As long as you have your iLok keys loaded, you can update M53.

The download links do not require login through Support. Click on the MachFive splash screen when you go to MOTU.com and it takes you to the downloads.

Your serial number is required for access to Support.
jbrown3318

Post by jbrown3318 »

Oh. That's interesting. I will give it a whirl. I was assuming that a serial was going to be requested to download the updates. I stand corrected. Thanks.
jbrown3318

Post by jbrown3318 »

I'm Golden! Updated to 3.2, soundbanks and all! Everything, including my 3rd party UVI's are running smoothly. I love the layering possibilities in M53!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

That's great!

It used to be that you logged in to access downloads but, if someone posted the link here, clicking on it took you there directly.

When MOTU made an eval version of DP available and changed the license manager earlier this year, they removed the login barrier to downloads and updates.