MachFive 2 display in DP 8 -bottom cut off

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

alexeiz
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by alexeiz »

I wonder if anybody had the same experience - I'm using MachFive 2 with DP 8.02 and when I open MachFive window within DP, part of MachFive display window is cut off at the bottom. There is no slide bar at the right to get this portion displayed.
I was told by a technician at MOTU that it could be because I was working on PowerBook with 1280x800 display, but hooking up Mac 1680x1050 display and dragging only MF display there doesn't help.

It doesn't happen in stand-alone mode - with DP there is an addition bar added at the top, so actual MF display is pushed down.

It didn't happen with DP 7 - everything was displayed fine.

Here is URL to snapshot: [img]http://alexeizoubov.com/images/mach5display.png[img]
hugy

Re: MachFive 2 display in DP 8 -bottom cut off

Post by hugy »

Time to update M5 maybe ?
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

+1
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
alexeiz

Post by alexeiz »

Well, upgrading to MacFive 3 will probably help, but I have issues with that.

There is absolutely nothing in MachFive 3 upgrade I need (apart from this display fixing.

There are two possible reasons for this bug:

1. Lousy and sloppy programming. There is no reason not to have a vert.ical slider - there is a horizontal one.

2. It's done on purpose, to force the upgrade - that would piss me off!
MIDI Life Crisis

alexeiz wrote: There are two possible reasons for this bug:

1. Lousy and sloppy programming. There is no reason not to have a vert.ical slider - there is a horizontal one.

Well then. Sounds like you nailed it... If I felt that way about a company, I'd NEVER buy ANYTHING from them. Sounds like you need a different sampler.

:shake:

Note: MOTU DOES NOT intentionally program "sloppy" or "lousy" code nor do they sabotage a release to get you to buy a new one.

Don't believe everything you think.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
VitcoMusic

Post by VitcoMusic »

MOTU wouldn't deliberately program bad code to force you to upgrade. They have a proven record for over 25 years. That speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra 64gb; Motif 8; Novation Summit, Yamaha MOXF6, Mach Five Three; Altiverb, UVI Stuff, Acoustic Legends; Plugsound Pro; Fender Strat; Stylus, Omnisphere 2.8, Trillian
NazRat

Post by NazRat »

alexeiz wrote:Well, upgrading to MacFive 3 will probably help, but I have issues with that.

There is absolutely nothing in MachFive 3 upgrade I need (apart from this display fixing.

There are two possible reasons for this bug:

Or . . . Apple had a moving target as far as UI design. M5 V2 was probably written to a different spec (i.e. Carbon, it's old). DP8 on the other hand has finally made the full transition to Cocao. There have been a few problems and fundamental incompatibilities with plug UIs during the transition.
DP8.06 PT11.2.0 VEP 5.3.x
828mkII 828mk3 ADA8000 MTP-AV Komplete Audio 6
Mac Mini Quad 10.9.4 - HP Quad Laptop Win 8.1
red-noise

Post by red-noise »

I have the same issue here when using either an external display or my 17" MacBook Pro's built-in monitor. It's very frustrating, because I much prefer the interface of v2 over v3. I have both, but end up using Kontakt instead - in large part because I can't wrap my head around the interface in M5v3, and it interrupts my workflow too much to have to open DP7 each time I want to build a new sample bank in M5v2...
alexeiz

Post by alexeiz »

A year had passed since my original post - still fighting the same problem.

I've been with MOTU almost from the start and on the balance I was satisfied, but there are quite a few things that are not only in the way of comfortable use, but just ridiculous.

MachFive has so many interface problems, it's frustrating. The problem with cutting off the bottom of the MachFive window when using on a laptop with DP 8 is one of them, but even the graphics is annoying. There was no need to create a generally black colour design, no need to try to imitate a hardware sampler's front panel, just makes difficult to find anything and takes extra space to depict round handles and such.

I wonder, is MachFive v3 behaving the same way? I don't think I would like to upgrade just to have the same problem.
red-noise

Post by red-noise »

MachFive 3 does not have the bottom lopped off in DP8, no. For whatever reason, I imagine nobody beta tested DP8 with MachFive 2 or this would have been discovered immediately.

MachFive 3 continues the light-on-dark scheme of v2. Otherwise, the GUI is completely different in v3 compared to v2. v3 reminds me a little more of Kontakt, while v2 reminds me more of... hm... other MOTU plugins in DP...??? Anyway, they are very, very different. You may prefer v3.

The other thing that is very frustrating with MachFive 2 and 3 both is that you cannot drag and drop files or folders into the window. I like to be able to search for the sample bank or sound files that I need using my OS browser / search function (because after all you can't search from within MachFive). In Kontakt, I can initiate an "open" window in the GUI, search for the sample bank I need from within the Mac OS, and then just drag and drop. In MachFive though, once I've found the sample bank I want in the Mac OS, I have to look at the file path and then drill down from within MachFive to get there. :shake:
red-noise

Post by red-noise »

By the way, this is MOTU's response:

"This is a known issue, but it is currently unclear whether this is something that can be resolved with a change to DP8's code, or whether it would require an update for MachFive 2. If it can be resolved on DP8's end, I'll let you know when a fix has been made, but if it can't, I'm afraid that we wouldn't be able to make any changes to MachFive 2 at this point. Please let me know if you have any questions about this!"
MIDI Life Crisis

An honest response. One may not like the answer from their own perspective but at least they're leveling with you. M5-2 is an old app by any modern day standards and no company will support legacy software.

If you don't like ver 3 and ver 2 doesn't work then maybe it's time to find something you do like? You won't find anything better, IMO.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah, MachFive 2 is quite old and I think something obviously changed in versions later than DP7 with how plug in graphics are handled. Things like this happen sometimes and you can't hang onto this forever. Is there an AU version of MachFive 2? If so, try it with 32 Lives in DP8 and see if that helps.

I'm disappointed by the OP's assertion that it was either "sloppy" programming, or that MOTU sabotaged. That's a very unfair and cynical accusation to make in a public forum, and surely he can't actually believe that MOTU would write code into DP8 specifically for the purpose of breaking MachFive 2 in order to push users into version 3?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

alexeiz wrote:Well, upgrading to MacFive 3 will probably help, but I have issues with that.

Except for a much better GUI, more sounds and patches, much better and powerful features, etc. MachFive 2 feels "toyish" in comparisson to MachFive 3.
alexeiz wrote:There are two possible reasons for this bug:

:shake:
:smash:

And you assert all that based on, what exactly?

It's more like:
3.- You're basically running a legacy app which is not supported anymore. At one point you will have to upgrade, whether you like it or not. And the same thing will happen with OSX, and most of the apps you use eventually.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
red-noise

Post by red-noise »

I don't agree that the GUI is better. It's completely different. v2 tried to emulate the experience of using hardware; v3 is comfortable dressing up like the software it is. I was immediately rolling my own banks with v2, but to do the same thing with v3 takes me a lot longer. Granted, v3 does have more capabilities, and if I'd started with v3 maybe I'd be faster with it; but being able to meet a deadline is more important to me than learning a newer version of software that otherwise perfectly serves my needs.