Can you do program changes in DP8 with MachV 3?

Discussion of all things related to MOTU's awesome MachFive software sampler.

Moderator: James Steele

Terry50
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can you do program changes in DP8 with MachV 3?

Post by Terry50 »

Can you do program changes in DP8 with MachV 3 ? :?:

If "Yes", I know how to do the part in DP; but I can't figure out where to assign program numbers in Mach V.

Thank you. :D

Terry 50
Terry50

Re: Can you do program changes in DP8 with MachV 3?

Post by Terry50 »

For those that are Viewing this post, the answer is NO.

MachV doesn't have patches like external synths do.
And there never was an "instrument change" button that I know of in any program.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That's too bad. I thought there were at least some VIs that will respond to program change. In fact, there must be because I'm pretty sure Apple's "built-in" DSL Music Devices does. So it is technically possible I think... just not supported by many developers.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

There is a script in Mach V 3 which allows it to receive MIDI program changes from an external device and switch between different sounds. Program change #1 activates the patch you have set on MIDI channel 1. Program change #2 activates the patch you have set on MIDI channel 2, and so on. I believe this was a new feature in DP 7. I use it for live performance. I assume it could also receive program changes from a DP MIDI track. Would this work for you?

Doug
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Program change messages make sense when you're changing patches on a synth or changing sounds burned into a ROM, where the change is close to instant. But changing the sound in Mach Five or any thing that has to load up samples, is going to result in an unpredictable delay, and interruption in playback, you probably don't want. If the samples are all in RAM already, I suppose it could be useful, but then you might as well just put the sounds in different channel/VI combinations and change playback to a different track in DP.

The script in MachFive: if that activates a program already loaded, rather than change the program loaded into a slot, it's not really the same thing.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8