What's Your Backup Plan?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

ggm1960
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

What's Your Backup Plan?

Post by ggm1960 »

So I've evolved over the years and spent countless hours tweaking to get to where I'm currently at today with a SSD equipped MBP, external thunderbolt connected SSD, DP9.5, "rewired" Reason and 828x all tweaked in and running my live keyboard rig as smooth as a laser cut set of cylinder walls.

But what if something goes wrong with my main drive? I feel like I need to have a backup hard drive all prepared to plug and play if the unthinkable happens. What would/do you do?
bayswater

Re: What's Your Backup Plan?

Post by bayswater »

ggm1960 wrote:So I've evolved over the years and spent countless hours tweaking to get to where I'm currently at today with a SSD equipped MBP, external thunderbolt connected SSD, DP9.5, "rewired" Reason and 828x all tweaked in and running my live keyboard rig as smooth as a laser cut set of cylinder walls.

But what if something goes wrong with my main drive? I feel like I need to have a backup hard drive all prepared to plug and play if the unthinkable happens. What would/do you do?
I have wifi routers with drives inside or attached, and 4 Macs all with Time Machine set to use these for backups. Files that are easily replaced and things easily re-installed are not included in the backups. From time to time, drives are sent somewhere else for safe keeping in case of fire, theft, etc.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Do you have a Time Machine backup? If not, you need one.

How do you connect to the internet normally — a dock, Ethernet, wireless, other?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

ONLY SSDs for live! No spinning platforms of rust allowed; a drop or bump can ruin your night.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

DEFINITELY come up with a backup plan. Like yesterday! You don't really have anything unless you have redundant backups in at least 2 different locations.

It's really easy...

My files are of 3 kinds. I separate them and do it like this>
- Samples disks
- Music computers system disks
- Office computer/Personal files disks

They all get>
1 onsite backup set, 2 offsite backup sets (home, and they get rotated every week), 1 extra offsite location backup set (parents, rotated every 9 months).

All the disks are ready to be popped in an external enclosure, so if disaster strikes, I'm ready for business in under 1 minute. They all match the originals, so it's so easy to clone them.

Most are regular clones, but the redundant extra copies are in TimeMachine format as well. Only the office computer and personal files disks are encrypted, as are their respective backups.

This is the only way I can sleep peacefully at night.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

If we are talking about in-studio, what FM says. Time Machine is handy to keep running at all times; redundancy is peace of mind. I duplicate each day's files on two separate spinners on site and rotate two TM drives on/off site.

Live, I'd carry a spare bootable Thunderbolt SSD (assuming your Mac has TB) with all required apps and files.