HS-installation and Drive-formatting Questions

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

monkey man
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

HS-installation and Drive-formatting Questions

Post by monkey man »

Hey, beloved 'Cornies. I've been meaning to ask these questions for quite a while now, hoping in the meantime that answers would appear for me, but alas, I'm going to have to hit you guys with...

Two "things", and sorry if the formatting acronyms are incorrect; they're at least close-enough, I think, that you'll know what I'm talking about:

1) Being still on DP8, I've been waiting for news about DP10, and as we know, nothing appeared at NAMM, so I'd love to know if plunking down for the DP9 upgrade now will qualify me for DP10 when it arrives. It's late in the game to be upgrading to v9 right now if there's no provision for this, IMHO. I could try DP8, but I've seen you guys post about an issue where one has to re-register the app every time one fires it up.

2) Is there a difference between:

a) Partitioning and pre-formatting (as AFPS) an SSD (all partitions) and installing HS thereon

and

b) Conducting the formatting post-installation of HS? I'm guessing I'd have to create a spinner installation of HS first in order for the AFPS option to appear in DU so that I can do this, but I'd prefer to avoid this more-complicated route provided it makes no difference at all if I simply allow the installer to re-format the OS partition and subsequently, from therein, reformat, using DU, the remaining partitions as AFPS?

Assuming the latter option yields no-different a result from the pre-formatting one, should I erase the partitions first (from within the new HS installation) and re-copy the files to them after re-formatting, or does one simply re-format these partitions with the files in-situ? I'm concerned because they're largely partially-dowloaded torrent files and if they're altered in any way either errors will occur or they won't resume downloading correctly, if at all... I'm guessing. The file paths need to be the same as they were previously under the HFS+ format, obviously, or else they won't be seen by the client; any issue there?

I assume that the HS installer will only format the OS partition and leave the others alone, so I'm trying to figure out what the best method for converting the entire drive to AFPS would be.

Thank you so much for any guidance provided, esteemed-and-dear 'Cornies!

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: HS-installation and Drive-formatting Questions

Post by bayswater »

Your little grey cells are working hard.

The change to AFPS is transparent. When you install HS on an SSD, it just happens. You don't format, pre-format, erase and start over, or anything like that. It only reformats the partition that HS is installed on. So I guess that means you might want to do any planned partitioning before installing HS if you need use older OS versions on other partitions.

My recollection is that partitioning is a bit pointless on an SSD, unless of course you want to have a main partition and a test partition for trying out new future OS X versions. I have three partitions on my main drive for that purpose.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8