Do other people get cold while using the Apple Magic Mouse?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Do other people get cold while using the Apple Magic Mouse?

Post by mhschmieder »

I don't get cold easily, and generally don't turn the heat on until it goes down to 48 degrees (or 52 degrees with humidity), and even then I only turn it to 55, 58, or 60 degrees.

So perhaps I am the only one who gets a chill while using the Apple Magic Mouse, but it bothers me as it causes me to be inclined to turn the heat on when I wouldn't otherwise, or to turn it higher.

That's especially not cool during a session, of course (noise).

I did a web search and found NOTHING, yet it is logical this would be the case as the mouse's base (which is gripped most of the time while using it) is metal. I may need to switch to an all-plastic mouse.
Last edited by mhschmieder on Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
cuttime

Re: Do other people get cold while using the Apple Magic Mou

Post by cuttime »

I tend to run on the warm side myself, but I do know that long periods of physical inactivity at the computer can make me feel chilly.
828x MacOS 13.6.6 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Fingerless gloves can work wonders.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Two completely uneducated guesses...

1. Gripping the mouse may reduce blood flow to your fingers?

2. Raynuad's Syndrome? (I have this.)

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

For me it's more about sitting still in front of the computer... but that's not dependant on what mouse I'm using...
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

EMRR wrote:Fingerless gloves can work wonders.
These are made by a violist in the Milwaukee Symphony. I have a couple pair for occasional outdoor gigs:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PositivePuffi ... ount#items
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Kurt Cowling wrote:
EMRR wrote:Fingerless gloves can work wonders.
These are made by a violist in the Milwaukee Symphony. I have a couple pair for occasional outdoor gigs:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PositivePuffi ... ount#items
Or just the fingas [sic] off a pair of gloves. A little stitching and you're good to go. Y'all sew, dontcha?
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Kurt Cowling

Post by Kurt Cowling »

I found these less restrictive by just going around the thumb and wrist. Actual gloves with the fingers cut off make me feel like I’m working against the glove to play larger stretches.
DP 11.1, Monterey, 2021 MacBook Pro M1-Max, 2017 iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Stylus RMX, EZ Drummer 2, MachFive 3.11, Real Guitar2, Real Strat, Sample Modeling trumpet, saxes, trombone, Fr Horn/Tuba. Audio Modeling clarinets, double reeds, flutes, strings, Kontakt 6, Flux Pure Limiter 3, PSP Vintage Warmer, PSP MixPack, PSP StereoPack, PSP Impressor, Altiverb 7, Izotope RX8 Standard, Yamaha S-90ES, Yamaha MOXF-8, Yamaha MX60, Sibelius subscription, Adobe CC and Motion 5.
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

Maybe a small heating pad on the underside of your desk where the mouse lives.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

wylie1 wrote:Maybe a small heating pad on the underside of your desk where the mouse lives.
Thinking this might be nice behind my back when mixing late at night... :D
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

It's 59 degrees now and I'm not experiencing chills, so there must be some cut-off point where skin-to-metal contact starts to have an effect on me. Metal by its nature will feel colder in the relative sense, so it's a matter of degree (no pun intended).

I had bought another mouse early this year to try out at work, but it ended up needing some "extra" device that wasn't part of the package and which became a time-consuming research task that I never had time for. Once our office reopens next week, hopefully I can figure it out and order the part. If that mouse works well, I'll buy one for the home as well.

The Magic Mouse is the first Apple mouse is have not only not detested but have liked quite a bit. But I'm rather outdone with how quickly its battery runs down, and how it takes almost a full day to recharge. I spent $300 on OWC's new Thunderbolt 3 hub with high-power USB slots, which should arrive by next week. We'll see how long it takes to recharge then.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

What is your desktop made of? Some materials (like granite or other stone—real or man-made) will definitely suck the heat from your body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

A wood slab on top of metal. But it's only specifically the metal edges of the mouse where I ever start feeling coldness transmit to my body.

I'll look at the other topic in the main forum where people are discussing the best mouse to use with DP. I was at Fry's today but stock was super-low due to the aftermath of holiday shopping.

wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

I notice there's also heated mouse pads
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Only problem with mouse pads is that most newer mice don't like them.

The other topic in the main forum made it clear that Magic Trackpad 2 is the way to go.

I have one at work that I never found time to unpack and learn how to use, so will hopefully have time to do that this week, once our office reopens from the end-of-year shutdown.