Audio MIDI Setup Icon Browser

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

donnyl
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Audio MIDI Setup Icon Browser

Post by donnyl »

Recently had to open Audio MIDI setup to relink my MTPAV and noticed when I had to access the icon browser to choose an icon for any of my external MIDI devices that the pull down menu to select different device icons no longer actually switches to any of the device icons except for the first one in the drop down list which happens to be AKAI devices. This used to work fine a couple of weeks ago. I checked to make sure the images are still in the right directory (/Library/Audio/MIDI Devices/Akai/Images/ as an example of one of the device folders) and they are all still there. What's the trick to getting this to work again?

I'm still on the same OS version as when it worked a couple of weeks ago: Mac OS 10.12.6.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Audio MIDI Setup Icon Browser

Post by mikehalloran »

In Sierra, I find that, when I delete the icon, the correct one appears. I turn my MOTU devices on before I boot.

Losing the settings is a symptom of a bad battery. How old is the battery in your MTP AV? The recommendation is to change them every 5 years. It takes the standard CR2032 medical battery found at any drug or hardware store.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
donnyl
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by donnyl »

Thanks for the reply Mike. I changed out the batteries in both my MTPAV & MTPII. And that does help with retaining the settings in between sessions. It still doesn't fix the icon browser issue but I found a work around. I temporarily removed the folders within the MIDI Devices folder that I didn't need to access and just kept the one I did. And that forced it to select that one remaining folder so I could re-select the right icon for the device. I then put the other devices back in there so the others would re-link. I'm back to where I was again as long as I don't loose my device icons again. I think there is probably some kind a bug within the latest Audio MIDI Setup and that icon drop down list. But no worries for now since the work around worked. Just wish developers would some times leave well enough alone.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

donnyl wrote:... Just wish developers would some times leave well enough alone.
And the developers wish that Apple would do the same. I don't see either happening any time soon.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro