Is TRIM enabled per disk or per partition?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Is TRIM enabled per disk or per partition?

Post by FMiguelez »

That's my question...
1.- I have an SSD with 2 partitions (system and data).
When one enables TRIM via Terminal, does that take care of the full disk, or must one do the Terminal command to enable Trim once per each partition?

2.- Also, if I reformats/erases/creates new partitions, will that "wipe out" the Trim instruction, thus having to do it again after any of those operations?

Thanks!
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Re: Is TRIM enabled per disk or per partition?

Post by mikehalloran »

TRIM is enabled from the boot drive only and affects all connected drives and partitions (except those connected via USB 2 and HHDs).
2.- Also, if I reformats/erases/creates new partitions, will that "wipe out" the Trim instruction, thus having to do it again after any of those operations?
Maybe but only if you are wiping out the boot partition such as doing a complete Time Machine restore. The only way to know is to check About this Mac when done.

I did a complete reinstall of OS 10.13.1 on my system a couple of days ago and TRIM was unaffected.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I lost track of this topic. I need to check my preferences, since I'm not getting email notifications for responses anymore.

Anyway, thank you for the info, Mike.
mikehalloran wrote:TRIM is enabled from the boot drive only and affects all connected drives and partitions (except those connected via USB 2 and HHDs).
mikehalloran wrote: Maybe but only if you are wiping out the boot partition such as doing a complete Time Machine restore. The only way to know is to check About this Mac when done.

I did a complete reinstall of OS 10.13.1 on my system a couple of days ago and TRIM was unaffected.
I see. Yes, I nuked my SSD by erasing it (NOT securely, of course!) and repartitioning it. I'll check right now if the TRIM got nuked too.
I already have in PDF some of your other related posts, so if it did, I'll just copy/paste the Terminal command from there.

One tiny little trick, or "curiosity" I discovered> If you Option-click on "About this Mac", the command changes and takes you straight to the System Information pane, bypassing the "About this Mac" info pane.
But you're Mike Halloran, so you most likely knew about that already :)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

sudo trimforce enable

your admin password

when it asks if you really want to enable TRIM, the answer is Yes
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro