Running not just Windows but Snow Leopard in Parallels?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Running not just Windows but Snow Leopard in Parallels?

Post by James Steele »

I've seen some adds for Parallels for Mac... the software that let's you run a virtual windows PC on your Mac. Thinking of getting it. I was balking at first because I though you had to buy a subscription for it, but apparently you can get a one-time license with the Home Edition, but it's not eligible for upgrades, etc.

But that's neither here nor there....

My thought was that it looks like in addition to the normal situation where you run Windows in your virtual machine, you could have a virtual machine running a different version of MacOS. So I'm wondering if it's possible to have my main studio machine running Sierra or High Sierra and then using Parallels, have a virtual machine running Snow Leopard. I could use Snow Leopard to run legacy apps, most importantly: Unisyn.

The idea is I could be doing a DP session on my studio Mac, then switch to Unisyn running in the virtual Snow Leopard machine running inside Parallels, and be able to do system exclusive dumps and editing via the virtual machine. It sounds plausible.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cleamon

Re: Running not just Windows but Snow Leopard in Parallels?

Post by cleamon »

Can't answer your Parallels question, but you can certainly do that with VMWare's Fusion.
----------------------------------------------
Chuck
iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)|| 16GB Ram || OS/X 10.14.6 || Motu 828MkII || Steinberg UR242 || DP8.07
Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch), 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB Ram
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Running not just Windows but Snow Leopard in Parallels?

Post by James Steele »

cleamon wrote:Can't answer your Parallels question, but you can certainly do that with VMWare's Fusion.
Thanks. Always thought it was a shame that Unisyn fell by the wayside. The thought of running Unisyn inside a virtual machine running Snow Leopard intrigues me. Be interesting to see if the USB connection via a VM is robust enough to handle sysex.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!