Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: SSDs- too late to enable trim?

Post by mikehalloran »

leigh wrote:Here's what I did to get the SSD's to be APFS:

• Copied contents to temp spinner.
• Used Disk Utility to erase SSD as APFS.
• Copied the files from the spinner back to the SSD.

The copies took a couple of hours in each direction but I had no problems.

**Leigh
Yep. That's no the only way to do it but it works.
've just upgraded the iMac to High Sierra and the Fusion Drive can't be converted to APFS. Is it worth it to take the iMac back and have it be a simple SSD?
I would replace the HHD part of that Fusion drive with an SSD or just remove it—this will lower the internal temperature of your iMac as well as increase your overall performance.

When done, reinstall OS 10.13.2 either from an App Store download or Command-R into the Repair Partition and reinstall. This will set the boot drive to APFS without wiping data and fix a number of annoying things that you might not know are broken.

As I posted earlier, if you have a boot drive or partition that can boot into another Mac OS, then Command R will not boot you into the Repair Partition nor will you be able to see it—don't worry, an App Store download should to the trick.

Lastly, do a Safe Boot (hold the Shift key on startup, log into your Users Account when prompted; reboot normally when done). Besides resetting caches and ports to default, it will reset paths and repair any Alias icons that are now showing as generic.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
leigh

Post by leigh »

've just upgraded the iMac to High Sierra and the Fusion Drive can't be converted to APFS. Is it worth it to take the iMac back and have it be a simple SSD?
Oops! Sorry, Mike, I neglected to mention that when I had the install the EVO, they asked me if I wanted it to be part of the Fusion Drive. I said yes so I'd have a little more internal storage.

I'm wondering is it is worth taking it back and have them remove the EVO from the FD so it can be formatted as APFS? Will there be enough of a performance improvement?

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

leigh wrote:
Oops! Sorry, Mike, I neglected to mention that when I had the install the EVO, they asked me if I wanted it to be part of the Fusion Drive. I said yes so I'd have a little more internal storage.

I'm wondering is it is worth taking it back and have them remove the EVO from the FD so it can be formatted as APFS? Will there be enough of a performance improvement?

**Leigh
So, you pulled the HHD and replaced it with the SSD and the tech made that and the blade into a FD?

On paper, it makes sense separate the two into separate drives. Right now, you have all the disadvantages of the FD with none of the advantages. Then reinstall High Sierra as I posted earlier.

Most apps and utilities need to be on the boot drive nowadays while your files can reside on the other. If the blade isn’t big enough to hold all your apps, make the EVO your system drive. You will need to enable TRIM when done.

Real world performance might not show a noticeable improvement, however. My gut says leave it alone.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro