MacBook Pro/Sierra Finder Issues

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Rick Cornish
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacBook Pro/Sierra Finder Issues

Post by Rick Cornish »

Hey gang.......
I got a new 13" MacBook Pro a few months ago. Ever since I got it, I've had some persistent Finder problems:
1. Spring-loaded folders don't work. Specifically, if I have multiple tabs in a finder window, when I try to move or copy a file from one tab to another, the tab I'm going to does not pop open (though I can at least drop the file in the tab… it just won't pop open).
2. I've experienced numerous Finder crashes where the sidebar disappears. It could have something to do with using AirDrop, but that may be a coincidence.

>I have checked Settings>>>Accessibility that the appropriate boxes are checked.
>I have reinstalled the OS three times, including wiping my drive and starting from scratch.
>I have had three calls with Apple Support.
>I've also had a Genius Bar visit where the tech confirmed that not only did a fresh install not fix the problem, other 13" MacBook Pros they had on the floor were doing the same thing. :!:

The Genius Bar tech turned in a ticket to Apple engineering and I have yet to hear anything on that.

Has anyone else experienced this or know more about this? I'm not finding much online.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
HCMarkus

Re: MacBook Pro/Sierra Finder Issues

Post by HCMarkus »

I've got a 2011 MacBook that does not demonstrate this behavior.

High Sierra is coming... some help, huh?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Apple has call in support. If no longer under AppleCare, the window opens again whenever there's an OS update.

Go to the support site and click through the windows. You will see that new OS is a qualifier — click it and get to the screen where you are requesting a phone call. I've usually received mine within 15 minutes of the request.

Among the available tools, the support tech may have you download an app that lets him/her log into your Mac so that they can see what you see.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote:Apple has call in support. If no longer under AppleCare, the window opens again whenever there's an OS update.

Go to the support site and click through the windows. You will see that new OS is a qualifier — click it and get to the screen where you are requesting a phone call. I've usually received mine within 15 minutes of the request.

Among the available tools, the support tech may have you download an app that lets him/her log into your Mac so that they can see what you see.
Thanks, Mike. I have AppleCare and have called in three times. Most recently, the CSR was able to see the report that the Genius Bar guy sent in and that the case had been escalated. I was told to check back in a week if they don't contact me. I'd welcome it if an Apple tech wanted to remotely drive my machine and see what's happening.

I'm not a computer geek, by any stretch, but I'm wondering if I might even have a bad ROM. Just a wild guess.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net