Triumph (mastering software) leaves Mac App Store

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Triumph (mastering software) leaves Mac App Store

Post by mhschmieder »

Many of you may have received the email from Aurchitect today. I didn't continue with their mastering software after the re-branding as Triumph, but do keep my eye on it for improvements.

The author lists a gazillion reasons for leaving the Mac App Store, one of which is that Apple takes a 30% cut, which I didn't know (my own company has an iOS product but I'm not even remotely associated with that project so don't hear the ins and outs of the Mac App Store part as we hand it out for free like all of our software, as a service to those who buy our hardware).

More compelling is the list of things the author will be able to do after leaving the Mac App Store. Triumph may well be worth keeping an eye on, as the author really plans to focus on performance and productivity aspects of basic mastering-oriented editing.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Re: Triumph (mastering software) leaves Mac App Store

Post by mikehalloran »

Triumph is quite powerful and is pretty expensive. I never saw the need, however, owning DSP-Q and Twisted Wave (plus a few others that list mastering in their bag o' tricks).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yes, Apple takes 30%. In exchange for that, every developer on the App Store is given world-wide distribution to a captive market of millions, along with the possibility of special promotion if your app is good enough to capture the App Store's editors' attention, and all your sales, refunds and general accounting taken care of.

This is how a young developer with no capital and no possibility of console sales turned 6 weekends of work into a smash hit, a new job, and a net worth of several million dollars. Today he has six popular titles on the Store (with the 7th coming soon) and a reputation among mobile gamers as one of the most innovative and fan-friendly of all the indie devs, while still working with no overhead and no staff from the den in his house in the Marin hills.

With that in mind, 30% doesn't sound exorbitant to me. It's considerably less than you'd pay for a staff that would never deliver the App Store's efficacy.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Jim, thanks for the perspective. My boss is leaving for Apple later this week, so it's good to have positive things to say to her on her way out.

I've already been showing her all the stupid things Dell does, such as black power buttons in the upper left corner that are flush with the surface and the first thing you're likely to touch while fumbling in the dark for a secure hold on the tower. :-) We have a close relationship with Apple anyway, so we're happy she's not going to the "Dark Side" (Microsoft, Dell, etc.).

I suspect the developer behind Triumph had a story to tell, for a variety of reasons, and spent a great deal of time crafting the rationale, in a typical "David vs. Goliath" framework that tends to get sympathy, so your inversion of the relationship as being favourable to David vs. Goliath is refreshing.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

mhschmieder wrote: I've already been showing her all the stupid things Dell does, such as black power buttons in the upper left corner that are flush with the surface and the first thing you're likely to touch while fumbling in the dark for a secure hold on the tower. :-)
Ha! Holy cow, that is a story straight out of The Design of Everyday Things (originally titled The Psychology of Everyday Things, which I still think is more accurate). I'm guessing you've read it, but if not, you should.

https://www.amazon.com/Design-Everyday- ... QQTF3FPZHK
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mhschmieder wrote: I suspect the developer behind Triumph had a story to tell, for a variety of reasons, and spent a great deal of time crafting the rationale, in a typical "David vs. Goliath" framework that tends to get sympathy, so your inversion of the relationship as being favourable to David vs. Goliath is refreshing.
He outlines it here.
http://news.aurchitect.com/newsletters/ ... etter.html

Doesn't take a thing away from what Jim was saying, it's just for the type of business they are, it's not ideal.
You won't see MOTU using the App store either, not a surprise. The quick bug fix turnaround etc. are valid reasons, especially if you're subject to a star rating system...
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Yep, that's the same as what was in the email that was sent out, which I didn't think appropriate to cut/paste here. Good that it's also posted at a linkable page as well.

I do hope Triumph improves; I couldn't justify the cost when the switchover first happened (the loyalty discount wasn't all that great), but keep hoping it will eventually be a major contendor.

Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

^^ It has it's adherents, I have moderate needs for a two track editor so it seems overtly complicated with it's layers approach, and visually ugly to me. It's not terribly expensive at $79 though, especially compared to the old prices of Spark, Peak etc. I might buy it one of these days if DSP Quattro stops working or the author halts development.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just read the page at the link and seems like in his case, leaving the App Store makes pretty good sense. There were a couple of very compelling reasons given.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

The big advantage of the App Store is how easy it is to do updates. It knows what you have and what version and updating is one click.

But I have audio apps and plugins from probably 70 to 100 different sources. Some of them don't give clear version information in their files, don't make it easy to find their update pages, don't issue update notices, and each has its own particular way of distributing and authorizing. Individually, each is not so bad, and some are clever, but put together its a huge PITA.

I can understand not wanting to use the App Store, it's certainly not worth 30% to a company like MOTU, but simpler updates please. Or adopt some sort of industry standard.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

James Steele wrote:Just read the page at the link and seems like in his case, leaving the App Store makes pretty good sense. There were a couple of very compelling reasons given.
One man's meat, etc.

The hot young developer I described above is my younger son Noah, creator of MikaMobile, who caused a furor on the Webz a couple of years ago by writing a blog post about why he was ceasing development for Android platforms. His blog got quoted as far out as The Wall Street Journal and sparked a heated discussion on-line among devs.

His reasons were compelling, as well, the main one being that their were just too damn many devices with too many little hardware squiggles to deal with. As a result, Android represented 10% of his sales, but 90% of his support tickets. He was losing his meagre Android profits just helping them get the software running on their obscure phone.

But times change, things got better, he brought his catalog back to Android end of last year, and all the guys who said they'd hate him forever for dissing their beloved phones apparently got over it and bought the games. And Google devices are no more troublesome (for him, anyway) as iDevices.
Jim Bordner

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Jim, we had the same reasons for abandoning (for now) our own Android development (we have one app for iOS but I'm not its author -- an incredibly gifted and kind gentlemen in our European division is responsible for that one), and your son's blog had a huge influence on our decision.

farhan6
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by farhan6 »

It's disappointing to see Triumph leave the Mac App Store, as its mastering software has been a valuable tool for many users. While this decision may pose some inconveniences, I hope Triumph continues to thrive independently, offering users the same high-quality mastering capabilities that have made it a trusted choice for audio professionals. FM Whatsapp Apk
Last edited by farhan6 on Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

farhan6 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:45 am It's disappointing to see Triumph leave the Mac App Store, as its mastering software has been a valuable tool for many users. While this decision may pose some inconveniences, I hope Triumph continues to thrive independently, offering users the same high-quality mastering capabilities that have made it a trusted choice for audio professionals.
This happened 6 1/2 years ago. Triumph is now part of Zynaptiq. Their ZTX time stretching and pitch shifting technology is incorporated into Digital Performer and many other apps.

https://www.zynaptiq.com/triumph/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:06 pm
farhan6 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:45 am It's disappointing to see Triumph leave the Mac App Store, as its mastering software has been a valuable tool for many users. While this decision may pose some inconveniences, I hope Triumph continues to thrive independently, offering users the same high-quality mastering capabilities that have made it a trusted choice for audio professionals.
This happened 6 1/2 years ago. Triumph is now part of Zynaptiq. Their ZTX time stretching and pitch shifting technology is incorporated into Digital Performer and many other apps.

https://www.zynaptiq.com/triumph/
Yeah... not sure if this person is a bot or not. Seems suspicious.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!