Bluetooth mouse issues with Sierra 10.12.6?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bluetooth mouse issues with Sierra 10.12.6?

Post by mhschmieder »

This is getting too regular, ever since the 10.12.6 update:

No matter which Magic Mouse v2 that I turn on, and even after turning it on and off several times and also verifying battery power is above 80%, the computer won't track the mouse, and so I can't even log in to start a session (the keyboard doesn't seem to be a workaround on macs as it is on Windows).

Eventually, after several computer hard reboots, the mouse either starts tracking, or it re-pairs to the computer.

I'm wondering if changes to power management in 10.12.6 are at fault?

I have generally found it more reliable to boot up peripherals before the computer, but of course am used to a MacPro for the last seven years so may have forgotten Best Practices for an iMac.

When I connect or boot one external device at a time with the new iMac, I find that often they aren't seen until I power cycle the device or the computer.

But maybe an iMac, or macOS 10.12.6, simply can't handle so much being connected at startup?

My keyboard is at 46% and has never been recharged, as I forgot that it is battery-powered. So it is plugged in now, but can be used while recharging. Perhaps doing that, is the only reason my mouse worked on the current reboot?

Can a relatively low (under 70%) keyboard battery affect the mouse? Does it communicate via the keyboard, or directly to the computer? This is my first Bluetooth keyboard, and also the first time I have had wireless mouse and wireless keyboard at the same time.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Bluetooth mouse issues with Sierra 10.12.6?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I've had problems with all wireless mice. About 2 years ago I moved to a MagicTrackpad and never looked back. Shooshie turned me on to trackpads, which I hated. Once I realized I had to reexamine my "relationship" with the interface (again, Shooshie's language) and took a couple of weeks to adjust, I pitched the mouse. Again, my main problem was connectivity as is yours. I can't imagine using a mouse again. The MagicTP2 made all the difference. I think Halloran is on one as well now. They're great!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good to know; I didn't realize they can supplant the mouse altogether. I've been meaning to buy a Magic Trackpad 2 for some time, so that might be my best next move vs. looking for another mouse.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I only have trouble with Bluetooth mouse connectivity when I move a mouse from one machine to another. Try opening the Bluetooth System Preference and x-out the problem device (keep a wired mouse on hand to facilitate these moves!) then re-pair.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Well I guess that's one thing good about my quandary of being stuck on 10.12.5. I'm not upgrading the Mac Pro to 12.6 due to not wanting to deal with this third party hack possibly failing that allows this NVME m.2 ssd to work...

The Pro also has Alchemy, Camel Phat and Space on it, plus some other extinct software, so 12.5 is as good a place as any to freeze it on updates. :)
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
solex

Post by solex »

I have also problems with my bluetooth mouse. Especially when I switch location. I do have the exact same mouse at home and in the studio, and my mac has always problems to pair them.
My workaround: when the mouse doesn't get recognized, I click on the Wi-Fi-Symbol on top twice and: tadaa! My mouse (re-)connects. Maybe worth a try.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

All good suggestions. Once I went to the Magic Trackpad, I never looked back and the MT 2 is even better.

I keep a hard wired trackball attached for the rare times when I Option-Boot to select the Repair Partition and it takes too long for my iMac to pair. Usually not an issue but I get impatient. Otherwise, I have not used it in years.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Good suggestions, all. And even though my tiny hands don't take well to trackballs, for regular use, it might be good to have a wired trackball as a backup mouse for booting/etc., and for the rare occasions that I find good use for its unique features.

I have a Magic Trackpad 2 at work that I never got around to opening and pairing, due to how intense my day job is as a sole developer with next to no support at any level of my job (I enjoy the challenge, and it's just part of the territory when in the role of a software engineer for what is primarily a hardware manufacturer). I'll unwrap it this week and learn how to use it.

MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Better Touch Tool is a nice addition to the MTP2...

https://www.boastr.net
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Better Touch Tool is a nice addition to the MTP2...

https://www.boastr.net
I've been living and dying by BTT for years now on a MM1, but the last couple of iterations have started to have problems with a standard left click, especially on iTunes, to the point where it registers maybe once in five clicks. I've had to abandon it with regret, at least for now. I've contacted the usually responsive developer and not heard anything. I see on the GitHub forums that I am not alone.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31