Magic Trackpad 2

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Magic Trackpad 2

Post by Julia123 »

I have not a fan of trackpads in the past but I discovered at the Apple store that when you are in Garage Band, you can use the trackpad to show more measures, or fewer, by spreading your fingers back and forth. (not just a zoom )

Is this the case with DP as well? If so, I would purchase it with my new iMac for that, and use my current mouse for everything else.

Is there any reason this would not work well? I imagine I may discover other things I might prefer the trackpad for (knobs--?)
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Magic Trackpad 2

Post by mikehalloran »

The MT 2 has a lot of functionality not found in the Magic Mouse. I don't believe I will ever go back.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Julia123
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Julia123 »

Thanks Mike!
iMac 27" 4.2 GHz i7 1TB SSD. 40 GB RAM. Apogee One.
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Yeah, but... does it do what she asked about? My Magic Trackpad v.1 does not, and I would upgrade for that functionality if v.2 did.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Gravity Jim wrote:Yeah, but... does it do what she asked about? My Magic Trackpad v.1 does not, and I would upgrade for that functionality if v.2 did.
Good point.

First, I had to figure out what she was talking about. This is what threw me:
I have not a fan of trackpads in the past but I discovered at the Apple store that when you are in Garage Band, you can use the trackpad to show more measures, or fewer, by spreading your fingers back and forth. (not just a zoom )
I had never opened GarageBand before but I found a sample from 2012 so I could see. Then I tried Logic and the behavior is identical:

I was looking for something that wasn't just a zoom. Well, it is just a zoom—a horizontal zoom, to be exact. In DP, click on the horizontal + or - and you get the exact behavior.

With the MT2 in GB or Logic, you spread your fingers and see fewer measures (+) and close them to see more (-). Having sold my MT 1 last week, I am unable to compare it to the MT2.

This is kind of cool and it's too bad that it doesn't work the same in Digital Performer. It would make a nice feature request—yea, I'd like to see it. I'll submit it.

Thanks, Julia, for asking about it. Never would have known what to check if you hadn't asked.

Back to my earlier reply. The MT2 makes the MT1 feel like a stone age tool be comparison. Frankly, I've just scratched the surface of what it can do. I'd read about it but didn't really give thought to trying one till my MT1 stopped working in the middle of my day job so I went to the nearest Apple Store (I have 4 within 15 miles) picked up an MT2 and was back within 45 minutes.

Later, I read how to adjust the switches on the MT1 and had it working by the end of the day but I was spoiled and am never going back. Sold it and and the wireless keyboard I never used for $50 + shipping on eBay so I'm good.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro