ilok and reformatting HD

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

daniel.sneed
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

ilok and reformatting HD

Post by daniel.sneed »

I plan to change the partition scheme of my Mac BookPro. Going from 4 partitions to a single one.

I plan to use Carbon Copy Cloner:
- clone boot partition to external HD, then add other partitions content in new folders inside clone
- format internal HD to a single partition (erase all, including licence manager)
- clone back from external to internal (same HD, different partition, same computer)

Will ilok manager accept this right away?
Or do I really need to deactivate all licenses prior formatting, and reactivate them after all is done?
Can't find the answer on ilok website, and no support mail contact found.
Any help appreciated.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Re: ilok and reformatting HD

Post by mikehalloran »

If you use CCC, reinstall the OS when you're done so that you have an up to date repair partition.

Any internet authorizations should be deauthorized first except for DP and Finale (if you have it).

iLok will be unaffected.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Thanks for your answer Mike.
But I'm not sure I get all of it it, though.
mikehalloran wrote:If you use CCC, reinstall the OS when you're done so that you have an up to date repair partition.
An updated repair partition is sure a good idea, but where and how?
mikehalloran wrote:Any internet authorizations should be deauthorized first except for DP and Finale (if you have it).
To make it clear, my main concerns are
- ilok authorizations, on computer and/or iLok key (Falcon, UVI lib., Lexicon, Metric Halo, 32 Lives, etc...)
- Native authorizations, with Native Access on computer (Kontakt, Absynth, etc...)
Do I need to wipe all of these authorizations first, prior any cloning and formatting?

BTW, I don't own Finale, and I am well trained to manage DP authorization.
mikehalloran wrote:iLok will be unaffected.
Are you talking (writing) about the dongle only, or about the whole iLok manager licences after cloning?
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I answered your questions clearly. In fact, you quoted them. I'll try again.

How to install, update the Repair Partition? Download and Reinstall the OS when you're done consolidating the partitions on the drive. Not only is the recommended way, its the only way. Cloning, despite the name, cannot make a perfect copy of a drive. The Repair Partition gets wiped in the process.

What to do about iLok authorizations? Nothing. They aren't affected.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

daniel.sneed wrote:To make it clear, my main concerns are
- ilok authorizations, on computer and/or iLok key (Falcon, UVI lib., Lexicon, Metric Halo, 32 Lives, etc...)
- Native authorizations, with Native Access on computer (Kontakt, Absynth, etc...)
Do I need to wipe all of these authorizations first, prior any cloning and formatting?
yes, computer based iLok authorizations are best dealt with by de-authorizing, you don't need to reinstall the software, just de-authorize the hard drive, then reauthorize once you're done. Otherwise it's an email to iLok explaining what you did and days without your software etc. I just did this for a few dozen authorizations because I switched them over to another drive, and it wasn't more than ten minutes of time if that. of course authorizations on your dongle require no action at all.

NI if they have a method of de-authorizing I would do it. otherwise it's reinstalling all your plug ins from them to authorize them, and linking Kontakt and Battery libraries etc.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Thanks Mike and Michael. I think I'm ready to go now. Crossing fingers, though.
Just did not know anything about the expression *repair partition*.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

NI if they have a method of de-authorizing
They don't.

On How Many Computers Can I Activate My Native Instruments Product?

The end user license agreement (EULA) for Native Instruments products allows the simultaneous installation on two computers (three computers for all versions of MASCHINE and KOMPLETE), as long as only one installation is used at any given time.

It is not necessary to "deactivate" an existing installation to activate the product on any further computer, but due to the license agreement it is required to uninstall the product from one of the the previously used computers.

Please note that Native Instruments reserves the right to disable an account or serial number if it has reason to believe that the license agreement is violated.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

daniel.sneed wrote:...Just did not know anything about the expression *repair partition*.
It's now called Mac OS Recovery (need to update my jargon) and has been around since 10.7. Cloning wipes this hidden partition, one of the reasons one must reinstall the OS after doing anything involving cloning. In Sierra, many Disk Utility functions do not work unless it exists and you Boot from it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

I find that Command-R on Boot sometimes wants to do an Internet Boot. In those cases, just hold the Option key while booting and select the Recovery drive from the list that appears during the boot procedure.

Where it gets really fun is when you can't install Sierra after cloning because something on the drive needs updating first. You can create a Boot/Install thumb drive following linked from the site above. Easier is to have another drive that can Boot from Sierra and run Disk Utility on your problem drive .from that.
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

Thanks for your advices.
Smooth sailing on the new 1To single partition.
All authorizing tasks behaved as expected : DP (keycode), iLok (deactivate-reactivate), Native (none), iZotope (none).
Happy camper...