transferring from "OldPro" to "NewPro??

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

transferring from "OldPro" to "NewPro??

Post by williemyers »

good morning, all!
well then, after a couple of years of holding off - and reading *tons*of very helpful info here... I've taken the plunge! gone from my "OldPro" (3,1 2.8 8-core/ElCap) to my "NewPro" (5,1 2.92 12-core/Sierra)...woo-HOO!

and now I'm confronted with that reoccuring issue - - what's the "best" way get my apps - 25 or 30 - & acct. stuff from the "old" to the "new"?

near as i can figure, I've got three options:
1. firewire the "Old" to the "New" and use Migration Asst. (but some/many have said that was "buggy")
2. firewire the "Old" to the "New" and use CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone the entire "Old" system drive
3. re-install everything....
I *know* that "3." is probably the safest/cleanest, but jeez - just trying to get all of those serial numbers back could be close to impossible...
and perhaps I'm missing an option or two?

so thanks in advance to those of you who have been down this path before and are willing to offer some thoughts?
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: transferring from "OldPro" to "NewPro??

Post by terrybritton »

I'm an "Old Pro" but I've found transferring just about ANYTHING to any of these "New Pro's" to be just about impossible! They think they already know everything!

Oh... you're talking about the Mac Pro... Um... nevermind, carry on...

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
kgdrum

Post by kgdrum »

I have used migration assistant successfully by actually putting the hard drive from my older MP in a hard drive slot in the newer MacPro,as it holds multiple hard drives. I trust this more than firewire why not just use an empty drive bay slot?
2012 Mac Pro 3.46GHz 12 core 96 gig,Mojave, DP11.01,Logic 10.51, RME UCX,Great River ME-1NV,a few microphones,UAD2, Komplete 12U,U-he,Omni & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, Mimic Pro w/ SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata...........
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

kgdrum wrote:I have used migration assistant successfully by actually putting the hard drive from my older MP in a hard drive slot in the newer MacPro,as it holds multiple hard drives. I trust this more than firewire why not just use an empty drive bay slot?
hey kg, many thanks for that! actually, that's exactly what I've got in mind, as I've just (successfully) mounted my "OldPro" drive in the "NewPro".
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs

~me
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Migration Assistant via Ethernet, Time Machine restore or mounting the drive as you've already done.

FireWire can screw up if either Mac goes to sleep.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

I just did this very thing. I went from a 2009 8 core 2.26 to a 2012 12 core 3.46.

I migrated my settings like email and links from Time Machine but not the apps. I forget what Apple called the various migration options but they don't give much leeway as far as choices. I basically wanted to just import email, Safari links etc but MA ended up pulling almost all preferences, various settings, most authorizations, application support and more. I really wanted to start fresh on all that but didn't see any option to narrow it down and it was done before I could say "No!" Then I re-installed my apps and plugs from scratch which was indeed a PITA but went fairly smoothly, all in all. I then yanked my data SSD from the old Mac that had the big stuff (like all 4 of Spectrasonics' libraries). Spectrasonics was helpful in giving me the info so I didn't have to re-download all those gigabytes. Native Instruments was the biggest problem as it always is. Will they ever get their installs to run smoothly - a question I've asked since Komplete 3. Still disappointed to see a few DP crashes after all that work but reverting from 9.13 to 9.12 seems to have helped, as near as I can tell. I sure wish DP wouldn't keep their crash reports a secret - they can be very helpful sometimes but not if you can't even read them. Flunk on that one, MOTU.

Good luck with your changeover.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

.Native Instruments was the biggest problem as it always is. Will they ever get their installs to run smoothly - a question I've asked since Komplete 3.
Ha! I wasn't very careful the first time I installed Komplete 11. There were problems accessing some of the libraries and the NI updates couldnt find a few. That plus my 2T main drive was getting crowded. Ok, I knew what to do. So, night before last, I decided to wipe it off the main drive and install it onto a new eSATA SSD that I bought for the use. I went to the web site and wiped everything NI from my system so I could start from scratch... easy enough.

The instructions were easy — hook up the NI hard drive, set the install path and go, right? Goodgawd, what a PIA! 52 libraries and only the first 15 installed smoothly. I finally got it by opening and closing the NI Service Center over and over watching it install one at a time while the others failed. Then there were the updates. A few didn't install till I opened the update downloads and installed directly. The whole process took over 4 hours but I got it eventually.
:mumble:

I think the problem was that the Service Center was getting confused by the updates it was finding online while installing from the HHD.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

mikehalloran wrote:
.Native Instruments was the biggest problem as it always is. Will they ever get their installs to run smoothly - a question I've asked since Komplete 3.
Ha! I wasn't very careful the first time I installed Komplete 11. There were problems accessing some of the libraries and the NI updates couldnt find a few. That plus my 2T main drive was getting crowded. Ok, I knew what to do. So, night before last, I decided to wipe it off the main drive and install it onto a new eSATA SSD that I bought for the use. I went to the web site and wiped everything NI from my system so I could start from scratch... easy enough.

The instructions were easy — hook up the NI hard drive, set the install path and go, right? Goodgawd, what a PIA! 52 libraries and only the first 15 installed smoothly. I finally got it by opening and closing the NI Service Center over and over watching it install one at a time while the others failed. Then there were the updates. A few didn't install till I opened the update downloads and installed directly. The whole process took over 4 hours but I got it eventually.
:mumble:

I think the problem was that the Service Center was getting confused by the updates it was finding online while installing from the HHD.
I feel you, Mike. I let Komplete 11 install over about an 18 hour period, letting it run overnight and ended up having to wipe all that and start over from scratch. I didn't even consider trying to salvage some old Kontakt libraries etc - lord knows what nightmare that would have been. I think NI changed the name from 'Service Center' to 'Native Access' because Service Center had become such a dirty word to so many people. A rose by any other name...
:shake:
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

hey all! first off, sincere thanks for all of your suggestions and sharing your experiences. there was some great stuff in your replies and it made for a much less formidable experience than I had anticipated (or feared!)

I have successfully (I think?) done the migration and here below are my steps, in case they may be of help to anyone else going through this:

1. I d/l'ed 10.12 on to my new MacPro's new Sys SSD and set it up minimally. then,
2. I installed my old 10.11 Sys SSD in the MacPro and then used MA (Migration Asst.) to migrate everything from the old Sys drive to the new Sys drive.
3. Once it had finished, I have to say that re-authorizing my apps and Mail, etc. was a lot easier than I recall it being in the past. I had to re-authorize DP, Sibelius, PTools and a couple of others, but that was mostly a matter of digging up serial numbers.
All of the above took only about 1/2 hour and I was up and running, using my new Sys and all of my apps - - including Kontakt 5.

Now, my 2nd task was a little touchier. I wanted to transfer about 500+GB of Kontakt5 "L"ibraries (about 25 of them) and "l"ibraries (about 85 of them) from an old HD to a new SSD.
The first thing I did was to change the name of the old HD from "LIBRARIES" to "LIBS" and change the name of the new SSD from "UNKNOWN" to "LIBRARIES". Then, I used CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to do the actual cloning. After it finished, I rebooted and tried to open Kontakt5, but all of my "L"ibraries showed up as needing to be "activated". Now - following Native Instruments' instructions - I went to Service Center and, sure enough, it showed that I had about 25 titles ready to be "activated". I clicked...
Then I rebooted and ran Kontakt5 and, sure enough, all "L"ibraries were activated and usable and all "l"ibraries were visible in the "files" tab and also usable!
All in all, after a total of about 2 hours, I have my new MacPro 12-core up and running DP and Kontakt5 and I AM HAPPY!

~me
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Nice happy ending story! You did good, Willie.

buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

Following! Glad it worked for you so smoothly.

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

williemyers wrote:The first thing I did was to change the name of the old HD from "LIBRARIES" to "LIBS" and change the name of the new SSD from "UNKNOWN" to "LIBRARIES". Then, I used CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) to do the actual cloning. After it finished, I rebooted and tried to open Kontakt5, but all of my "L"ibraries showed up as needing to be "activated". Now - following Native Instruments' instructions - I went to Service Center and, sure enough, it showed that I had about 25 titles ready to be "activated". I clicked...
Then I rebooted and ran Kontakt5 and, sure enough, all "L"ibraries were activated and usable and all "l"ibraries were visible in the "files" tab and also usable!
All in all, after a total of about 2 hours, I have my new MacPro 12-core up and running DP and Kontakt5 and I AM HAPPY!
The only thing I would be concerned about was whether you ended up using up/losing one of your available activations. I didn't see whether you'd mentioned having de-activated them on the old drive. Of course, if you had plenty of activations to spare, that is not an issue!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

[quote="terrybritton"
The only thing I would be concerned about was whether you ended up using up/losing one of your available activations. I didn't see whether you'd mentioned having de-activated them on the old drive. Of course, if you had plenty of activations to spare, that is not an issue!

Terry[/quote]
Is that still a thing?

The end user license agreement (EULA) for Native Instruments products allows the simultaneous installation on two computers (three computers for all versions of MASCHINE and KOMPLETE), as long as only one installation is used at any given time.

It is not necessary to "deactivate" an existing installation to activate the product on any further computer, but due to the license agreement it is required to uninstall the product from one of the the previously used computers.

Please note that Native Instruments reserves the right to disable an account or serial number if it has reason to believe that the license agreement is violated.
terrybritton

Post by terrybritton »

mikehalloran wrote:It is not necessary to "deactivate" an existing installation to activate the product on any further computer, but due to the license agreement it is required to uninstall the product from one of the the previously used computers.
Hmmm, that is an interesting point.

You know, Mike, come to think of it, I likely was visualizing the Arturia installer when I wrote that, not the NI Native Access installer.

Terry
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

They're the same installer, so I expect they would behave the same way. There's one other vendor that shares that installer as well, but I forget which one. Maybe Waldorf?

I'm about to go through this same process, but as my system drive on the old Mac is a PCIe-based SSD and the old Mac won't boot due to a dead video card, I think I'm going to have to use the Time Machine approach from that internal SATA drive mounted to a docking station.

It is good to read people's experience here with Migration Assistant and Time Machine. It sounds like it might be too coarse for my needs, but perhaps it is safe enough to migrate that way as the Sierra upgrade seems to have really cleaned up a lot of crud (30 GB removed!) from my stream drive.

It's interesting how some products see hardware ID vs. drive name as the relevant identifier for authorizations. I can't remember if I had to "re-find" my Kontact libraries after swapping my library drive a few months back, but I have occasionally run into unexpected ID issues -- it might have been due to what was stored in Kontact preferences after a Time Machine recovery of another problem.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH