CPU performance vs real time performance

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Justin_K
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CPU performance vs real time performance

Post by Justin_K »

Hey my nerdy friends :)

I recently watched this video regarding CPU performance vs real time performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

It discusses the reasons why a computer with plenty of grunt will still give pops and clicks and gives very clear information for a person like me who isn't as computer savvy as some.

I have a question. I fall into the above category, and I wonder if the video applies to Macs, and if so, I'm wonder where to start to alleviate my system shortcomings. (I've just moved to an SSD system btw)
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
2 x 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
HCMarkus

Re: CPU performance vs real time performance

Post by HCMarkus »

It's all about the buffer... crank it down while recording VIs and take it to the max to mix. From my perspective, a few clicks and pops while creating parts are not a killer as long as they don't make it into the final product.

I've found that I can work at 256 for most stuff and 512 when adding extra spice to a project that is pretty far along, but still prefer 128 when building VI rhythm section parts (especially drums, bass and piano) in a project's early stages.

DP9.13 is delivering video in a second monitor very nicely for me now while I work on my main 4k monitor; could be the newish AMD RX460 GPU showing...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Thanks for the replay HC markus.

Did you watch the video? My questions pertained specifically to it. I feel your comments would be better suited to a DP discussion rather than in this general Mac thread.

Yes, I agree. Buffer size is important... as is RAM etc...
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Justin_K wrote:Thanks for the replay HC markus.

Did you watch the video? My questions pertained specifically to it. I feel your comments would be better suited to a DP discussion rather than in this general Mac thread.

Yes, I agree. Buffer size is important... as is RAM etc...
I watched that video some time ago, probably not long after it was produced.

Of course the video concepts apply to Macs! :D They are computers, and are constrained by the same factors as all computers. Hence my comment re: buffer size. Unless this parameter is unavailable in your DAW, buffer size customization to the situation at hand will provide the biggest performance change, both in system responsiveness and ability to handle complex projects. Unfortunately, it is a balancing act with shifting fulcrum.

I have been running an all-SSD (SATA as opposed to PCIe) system for several years now and loving it. I haven't felt the need to go to PCIe SSD as yet. Moving to SSDs is great, and speeds boot and project load times. SSDs may help with real time performance as well, but won't impact performance once the data being operated on is residing in RAM.

RAM delivers data much more quickly than the flash memory used in SSDs. RAM is 1-2 orders of magnitude faster. As such, the more data you can keep loaded in RAM, the better your computer will function. If you want RAM to operate as fast was possible in your modded (12 core 3.33) Mac Pro, using it in two ranks of three 1333 sticks will maximize its throughput.

5,1 Mac Pros shipped with 1333 RAM even when paired with a Nehalem (1066 only) processor. As shipped, the RAM runs at 1066 because of the CPU. However, after an upgrade to a 1333-capable CPU, the RAM will run at 1333 after an NVRAM reset.

Interestingly, much RAM labeled as 1066 is actually 1333. You might try an NVRAM reset; maybe your RAM is 1333! That said, the performance difference between 1066 and 1333 is reportedly 1-3%, so not a major factor.

Hopefully, the above will assist you Justin. If I am missing the point of your question, perhaps others will chime in with more pertinent information.
Justin_K

Post by Justin_K »

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate. All these concepts are quite foreign to me, so any info is very helpful.
Mac Pro OSX 10.10.5
42 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
DP 9.13