Folder Permissions Question

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Asensory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Folder Permissions Question

Post by Asensory »

I did read the sticky on Permissions Issues above, I will try to repair permissions when I get home to see if that resolves the issue I'm having. I haven't done it since I got the machine!!! (oops).

Anyway, I recently added UVI Falcon to my arsenal of virtual instruments. The problem I am having with it now is that I can't reload the multis (presets by another name) that I create/save. The folder I am using is on the desktop, I just named it "Falcon" because I saw someone in a tutorial do the same thing, and it worked. When I navigate to said folder within Falcon and click the saved sound it vomits up this nasty red error message saying that the Multi could not be loaded.

Additionally, when I try to save files into the pre-made "user" folder in Lybrary/Application Support/UVI Soundpacks (or whatever its called), I either don't see the user folder of get an error message saying I don't have permission to write to that folder.

I encountered this phenomenon the first time when installing a couple factory sound-sets I got (with the $100 voucher given on purchase of Falcon). I had to extract into a folder on the desktop, then I attempted to drag the soundset folder into the appropriate folder, and was denied access.

This is not a very well written post, sorry, but if anyone has a solution or advice, I'd be grateful.
mikehalloran

Re: Folder Permissions Question

Post by mikehalloran »

Permissions and privileges are two different things. This sounds like a privileges issue.

What is your OS?

Where exactly is the folder you are having problems? Give the path.

Are you an Administrator on your Mac?

Did you run an installer or did you copy files over? If you copied, from where?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Asensory

Post by Asensory »

What is your OS?
Standyby for this one, will reply later when I get in front of the machine.
Where exactly is the folder you are having problems? Give the path.
My user-saved programs (multis) are saved to Desktop/Falcon. Falcon's factory programs, and the sets I just added, are saved to Macintosh HD/Libraries/Application Support/UVI Soundsets (I have that last folder name wrong, but that's the path.)
Are you an Administrator on your Mac?
Yes.
Did you run an installer or did you copy files over? If you copied, from where?
For the purchased soundsets, no. I extracted them to the desktop then dragged them into place. I ran into permissions, or privileges issues at the time, but I can't remember the exact specifics. I can duplicate the process and document it better later today when I get back on the Mac.

While I'm at it, ever notice that all the available directories are not always available in the left column of that window you use to browse them when loading or saving files? What's up with that?

Thanks for the help ... again.
Asensory

Post by Asensory »

OS is Sierra, 10.12.5 which apparently no longer supports repairing disk permissions.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Asensory wrote:OS is Sierra, 10.12.5 which apparently no longer supports repairing disk permissions.
As I wrote, this is not a Disk Permissions issue. Never was and repairing them in older versions of OS X cannot fix this.

Admin privileges and permissions are handled differently.

Go to the folder you are trying to write to. Pull up Get Info. Expand Sharing and Permissions. Use your admin password to unlock the padlock icon.

Are you listed in the privileges list? If co, skip the next step, If not, use the + sign to add yourself making sure that you can Read and Write.

Now, highlight that line with you, go down to the drop-down menu and click on Apply to enclosed items. Click OK if you get a dialog box. If a separate line says Admin, do the same—change to Read and Write and then Apply to enclosed items.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Asensory wrote:OS is Sierra, 10.12.5 which apparently no longer supports repairing disk permissions.
As I wrote, this is not a Disk Permissions issue. Never was and repairing them in older versions of OS X cannot fix this.

Admin privileges and permissions for Folders are handled differently.

Go to the folder you are trying to write to and highlight it. Pull up Get Info. Expand Sharing and Permissions. Use your admin password to unlock the padlock icon.

Are you listed in the privileges list? If so, skip the next step and continue. If not, use the + sign to add yourself making sure that you can Read and Write.

Now, highlight that line with you, go down to the drop-down menu and click on Apply to enclosed items. Click OK if you get a dialog box. If a separate line says Admin, do the same—change to Read and Write and then Apply to enclosed items.
Asensory

Post by Asensory »

People on this forum have more Mac knowledge than most Mac Expert forums ...
Thanks, I will implement those steps when back in front of the computer. I did tinker at that area in the Get Info box, but wasn't sure what to do with it. Learning everyday.