Can I install Sierra on my late 2008 MacBook?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can I install Sierra on my late 2008 MacBook?

Post by David Polich »

Yes I've read that my late 2008 MacBook Unibody cannot be upgraded to Sierra.

Is there a site that lists what Macs can "really" be upgraded to Sierra?
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
Rick Cornish

Re: Can I install Sierra on my late 2008 MacBook?

Post by Rick Cornish »

Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

There is a hack. I'm neither recommending nor saying to stay away. Have a recent Time Machine backup or two before attempting.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/inst ... older-macs

Noticing you have a 2008. Installing an SSD into these is very easy.

If you have never replaced the battery, it's a really good idea. When my daughter' s went bad, it took about 10 minutes to destroy her 2008 MBP. My Apple engineer son-in-law couldn't get it apart fast enough to limit the damage.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Thanks guys. Don't think I want to risk a hack. Seems like Yosemite is the last OS for my particular MacBook. I know it will run El Crapitan but don't want to go there.

My wife's late 2009 MacBook Pro will run Sierra, so I think I will install Sierra on that machine.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Not on my 2003 MP 8-core either. Well that sucks!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/78 ... Count=true
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:If you have never replaced the battery, it's a really good idea. When my daughter' s went bad, it took about 10 minutes to destroy her 2008 MBP.
Destroyed in what way? What happened to it?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:If you have never replaced the battery, it's a really good idea. When my daughter' s went bad, it took about 10 minutes to destroy her 2008 MBP.
It's a common problem. The battery will swell to about many times its size, breaking the motherboard, keyboard and sometimes the screen. The case can deform and break—in the worst instances, the battery bursts making a nasty mess. Sometimes, the swelling is mild and the only symptom is that it doesn't close quite right. According to my son-in-law, this can happen to iPhones and iPads but that is rare.
https://www.tekrevue.com/swollen-battery/

Five years seems to be about when this is likely to occur. As the article indicates, it can happen sooner.

I always thought this took awhile but, in our case, it was swelling as he was trying to take it apart—10 minutes from when my daughter first noticed a problem. Steven had never heard of one growing so fast before but having a battery ruin a laptop overnight is not unusual. I sold the case and screen for $50 on eBay but the rest of it was ruined.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:
bayswater wrote:
It's a common problem. The battery will swell to about many times its size, breaking the motherboard, keyboard and sometimes the screen. The case can deform and break—in the worst instances, the battery bursts making a nasty mess. Sometimes, the swelling is mild and the only symptom is that it doesn't close quite right.
Are referring to the main battery that powers the computer or the small one inside that keeps settings active? I've had the swelling problem with an old macbook but it was when the batteries fit into an opening used to access RAM and drives so it was pretty obvious.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Are referring to the main battery that powers the computer or the small one inside that keeps settings active?
Those with the battery built in do not have a separate NV RAM battery. It's redundant when you think about it. This is the main battery I'm talking about.

Older ones with a removable battery often did (and they were expensive). The clamshell and a few others used a charged capacitor designed to keep the PRAM alive just long enough to change the battery.