New Mac Pro in the works!!!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

hammerman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

New Mac Pro in the works!!!

Post by hammerman »

Yes, it's true - Apple is working on an expandable, upgradeable, modular Mac Pro with new displays! Probably out in 2018.
http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

Phil Schiller: As part of doing a new Mac Pro — it is, by definition, a modular system — we will be doing a pro display as well. Now you won’t see any of those products this year; we’re in the process of that. We think it’s really important to create something great for our pro customers who want a Mac Pro modular system, and that’ll take longer than this year to do.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
mikehalloran

Re: New Mac Pro in the works!!!

Post by mikehalloran »

hammerman wrote:Yes, it's true - Apple is working on an expandable, upgradeable, modular Mac Pro with new displays! Probably out in 2018.

Phil Schiller: As part of doing a new Mac Pro — it is, by definition, a modular system — we will be doing a pro display as well. Now you won’t see any of those products this year; we’re in the process of that. We think it’s really important to create something great for our pro customers who want a Mac Pro modular system, and that’ll take longer than this year to do.
Well, well, well... I have friends working on the next Mac Pro but that's all I knew till now.

So, by the end of 2018, I will get to decide if I want a new iMac, the 3rd gen of the Mac Pro or the 2nd gen of the MP (at a bargain) because it's really all I need. Oh, I like that!

I certainly wouldn't have predicted that, through Mac OS updates, a large SSD and 32G RAM, my iMac is running faster, cooler and better than it did new in 2010. If it were to die before then, I'd likely buy a used 2011 i7 since I could throw the RAM and SSD into it easily and it has Thunderbolt (and the NV RAM battery is on the front of the motherboard where it's easy to change). Mine is running great and I see no reason why I won't be able to wait.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
waxman

Post by waxman »

I read another article on it yesterday... This is GREAT news...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

waxman wrote:I read another article on it yesterday... This is GREAT news...
The best part, IMO, is that Apple is still in business. I would HATE to be running on a PC.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
billf

Post by billf »

hammerman wrote:Yes, it's true - Apple is working on an expandable, upgradeable, modular Mac Pro with new displays! Probably out in 2018.

That is excellent news!
MacPro5,1 2012, six core 2 x 3.06, 10.12.5, Digital Performer 9.13, 40 gb ram, 828mkIII, 2408 mkII, MTP AV, Logic Pro X 10.3.1, Studio One v 3.2, Pro Tools 12.7.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

waxman wrote:I read another article on it yesterday... This is GREAT news...
Agreed. Although I see it as good news in another way. It means in about a year from now, the price of used 8-core MacPro4,1 and 5,1s is going to drop even further, and I'll stretch out my system for longer doing the 12-core upgrade. The word has gotten out about being able to upgrade those models to 12 core machines, and the used prices have stayed relatively high. My needs are modest, so I think a 12-core will keep my happy for a bit longer.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

So glad the Trash Can is going away.

I may be at the end of the road with my Late 2010 MacPro, but have always loved the design concept and thought it would last me ten years through upgrades.

I am experiencing more and more problems of late, and can't help but think that I need a better CPU, but I could be wrong on that (see my signature). It's hard for me to figure out which CPU upgrades are compatible, but a few are finally becoming affordable ($300 or under) vs. the usual $1800 upgrade for the CPU alone.

It might be best to wait it out for the new MacPro at this point, given that most software will probably abandon support for Late 2010 MacPro's soon, given that this is currently the oldest model officially supported by Sierra.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
MIDI Life Crisis

I would wait if you can. Not having the upgrade path for the internal drive is scary. If it goes south, I'm screwed unless i can boot from an external - which would suck, IMO. Not the end of the world but with only 1TB in my internal SSD, I have to off load stuff every so often and that is a PITA.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mhschmieder wrote:So glad the Trash Can is going away.

I may be at the end of the road with my Late 2010 MacPro, but have always loved the design concept and thought it would last me ten years through upgrades.

I am experiencing more and more problems of late, and can't help but think that I need a better CPU, but I could be wrong on that (see my signature). It's hard for me to figure out which CPU upgrades are compatible, but a few are finally becoming affordable ($300 or under) vs. the usual $1800 upgrade for the CPU alone.
MH, you could upgrade to W3680 or X5680 (either works in single-CPU 2010 MP) for about $100 and almost double your Mac's horsepower. PM me if you need assistance!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I think we designed ourselves into a bit of a thermal corner, if you will. We designed a system that we thought with the kind of GPUs that at the time we thought we needed, and that we thought we could well serve with a two GPU architecture… that that was the thermal limit we needed, or the thermal capacity we needed.

Translation: Most likely, the next one will run hotter. That will be a turn-off for me. But that's ok; I can wait.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote:I think we designed ourselves into a bit of a thermal corner, if you will. We designed a system that we thought with the kind of GPUs that at the time we thought we needed, and that we thought we could well serve with a two GPU architecture… that that was the thermal limit we needed, or the thermal capacity we needed.

Translation: Most likely, the next one will run hotter. That will be a turn-off for me. But that's ok; I can wait.
Assuming you are talking about internal temperatures, methinks the opposite... although I have not heard that the nMP suffers from any CPU throttling, thermal throttling of the nMP's GPUs, particularly the 700s, is a problem reported by many in the video editing community. The forthcoming MP (mMP "modular" MP?) should be able to handle at least one of today's top performing video cards and thus dissipate at least 250 watts of heat, unlike the 200 watt limit of the nMP.

If you are referring to the mMP's likely enhanced capability as a space heater, well, then I concur! :lol:
MIDI Life Crisis

My trash can has been silent and cool, even under pressure. I have no complaints, except for not being able to affordably replace the SSD to 2TB.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

HCMarkus wrote: If you are referring to the mMP's likely enhanced capability as a space heater, well, then I concur! :lol:
That's exactly what I'm talking about—all of that heat must go somewhere.

I can't imagine that it could ... outperform? ... my G5/Apple Cinema Display in that regards. The savings on my A/C bill paid for my iMac. Even that ran warm until I got rid of the Caviar Black it came with and installed an 2T 850 EVO.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

HC, thanks for the input on Late 2010 upgrades of the CPU. I found contradictory info at newegg or OWC (I forget which) so got nervous and cold feet, but once I do my taxes, I will revisit the upgrade as that's worth it at that price even if I do get the upcoming new MacPro later on.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mhschmieder wrote:HC, thanks for the input on Late 2010 upgrades of the CPU. I found contradictory info at newegg or OWC (I forget which) so got nervous and cold feet, but once I do my taxes, I will revisit the upgrade as that's worth it at that price even if I do get the upcoming new MacPro later on.
We'll both be having tax fun today mh. I have been procrastinating but time is running short. Oh, the pain!

Since you have a 5,1 2010, no EFI update is required; you simply pull the CPU tray from your MP, remove the CPU heatsink (you will need a long-handled 3mm hex wrench), remove the old CPU and drop in and clamp the "new" (used) one, paste it (see Arctic Silver instructions for Xeon CPUs), clean the heatsink, and screw it back on.

Let me know if I can assist with the CPU swap. I've done two of my own and several others with friends, all success stories. I know many here at MOTUNation have taken the plunge and all have lived to tell the tale, even the intrepid do-it-yourself-de-lidder, Michael Canavan (don't worry, no de-lidding needed for your Mac). So, watch a few YouTube How-To videos and put on some warm socks before you start and all will be well!

Then, if you are interested, I can tell you how to get 4k going...
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31