MainStage 3.3 Very nice!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

cuttime
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MainStage 3.3 Very nice!

Post by cuttime »

Taking it for a spin and the interface is much easier on these eyes in the post-skeuomorphic era. Lot of good changes. Still such a bargain I might think the forum codes could redact the name to
M********!
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200269
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: MainStage 3.3 Very nice!

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:lol:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote:Still such a bargain I might think the forum codes could redact the name to
M********!
I can go over and rexplain the whole policy if you'd like.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote: I can go over and rexplain the whole policy if you'd like.
No need. I understand. Just making a lame joke.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

James Steele wrote:
cuttime wrote:Still such a bargain I might think the forum codes could redact the name to
M********!
Speaking of MP3 (LAME) jokes...

We "reap" what we sow? LOL

Frankly, I'm for blocking the names of all the other DAWs. THat would certainly stop people from saying "Well, L----- does this or P--- T--- did that, and C------ does this, and A---- does that.

WHO CARES? DP does it all.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

cuttime wrote:Taking it for a spin and the interface is much easier on these eyes in the post-skeuomorphic era. Lot of good changes.
Do you use Mainstage with audio and MIDI links to DP? How do you set up the links?

I've worked this out with Logic so I can bring EXS24 hosted instruments into DP, but couldn't get it to work with Mainstage properly. I couldn't get Mainstage to distinguish among incoming MIDI channels over IAC or DP's InterApp.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

James Steele wrote:
M********!
You really should just use homoglyphs for readability e.g. -nevermind-.

Also, mainstage 3.3 is pretty neat. I'd not have even looked if not for the thread, thanks!
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

Robert Randolph wrote: You really should just use homoglyphs for readability e.g. Rеaper.
Thus bypassing the wishes of the lead moderator and owner of the board.

Yeah, that's the ticket. :rofl:

Reaper... testing, testing, 1,2,3
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Robert Randolph

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote: You really should just use homoglyphs for readability e.g. -nevermind-.
Thus bypassing the wishes of the lead moderator and owner of the board.

Yeah, that's the ticket. :rofl:

R•••••... testing, testing, 1,2,3
It is well within the bounds of the reasons that he explained. Google search will not pick it up because the 'e' is a cyrillic homoglyph. Go ahead and copy/paste it in to google... You will find basically nothing (random russian mistypes of the word) except another post by me doing it.
Last edited by Robert Randolph on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIDI Life Crisis

My point being... the board owner has specifically banned the word. This is NOT a free speech zone. ONE PERSON makes the rules and gets to say who stays and who goes. Defy that at your own peril.

And it's not that I haven't been a bad player at times, and I got my hand slapped more than once, but ultimately, I defer to the board owner (that's james Steel, in case you were wondering who I was talking about). In all matters, he is the Boss.

So yes, you can use Russian characters to circumvent the rules, but at some point that is going to catch up with you, or so one would hope.

Note to James; that last statement was not intended to be a political statement, but a direct response to the o/p's (other poster's) method of circumventing banned speech from this site.

But do continue...

Reaper... Reaper... (yep, still works)

:unicorn:
Last edited by MIDI Life Crisis on Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

On Nov 28, 2010 James wrote:

"There. The name of a certain company and it's software are automatically replaced. I don't need any Google hits for that software. Simply type any posts as is and it will be apparent what is meant. Any subterfuge by using an alternate spelling or dashes, etc. will be a violation of board policy. I'm not going to give them one unnecessary electron's worth of mention on this site until such time as they stop the freebie giveaway."

I don't think it gets any clearer than that.
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Robert Randolph

Phil O wrote:On Nov 28, 2010 James wrote:

"There. The name of a certain company and it's software are automatically replaced. I don't need any Google hits for that software. Simply type any posts as is and it will be apparent what is meant. Any subterfuge by using an alternate spelling or dashes, etc. will be a violation of board policy. I'm not going to give them one unnecessary electron's worth of mention on this site until such time as they stop the freebie giveaway."

I don't think it gets any clearer than that.
Alright. It makes no sense... but alright. Ain't my forum.

:surrender: I've edited my posts, and it won't occur again.
MIDI Life Crisis

I should have been a dentist. :rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
James Steele
Site Administrator

MainStage 3.3 Very nice!

Post by James Steele »

I haven't actually taken a look at their demo in a while. That policy came about at a time when the "Performer Notes" column by Robin Bigwood was pretty much dumped by SOS in favor of the unnamed DAW. I felt then that they were gaining a big user base and thus press through product dumping. It wasn't just cheap, but at the time, their "copy protection" was a joke. After the demo period expired you got a nag screen that counted down 10 (?) seconds. And it only did that once PER DAY! Not each launch! So my contention was they were getting a big following by essentially giving away the app. A huge number of people aren't going to care if they have to dismiss a nag screen once a day to have a fully functional DAW. And SOS only cared then about installed user base—whether a large percentage of that user base is using "expired" demos or the inexpensive paid version doesn't matter to them.

As I said, all that may have changed and I should look into it. But at the time I viewed it as unfair competition that was not good for MOTU, DP, but actually the entire industry.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Interesting point. And a similar case could be made for another DAW that is priced very low from a computer and device manufacturer. It's certainly not a level playing field, but that hasn't kept MOTU from playing very competitively on it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com