Consumer grade speaker suggestions

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Re: Consumer grade speaker suggestions

Postby BKK-OZ » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks comrade.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
BKK-OZ

Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Postby mikehalloran » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:02 pm

Phil O wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:Can I ask what you ended up with in the end?
I haven't spoken to him yet about it. He's recovering from a medical procedure at a rehab facility and I'll give him some space until he gets back home. I'm still thinking that for his situation, the Logitechs may be fine. His hearing is so bad that volume may be more important than sound quality. You should hear how loud he has the TV blasting in his house! :?

Phil
Once you mentioned hearing aids, I agree. These are designed for gamers and watching Star Wars on a computer. I'm not kidding. Take a trip to Best Buy and see how they're demo'd. The highs and lows are hyped to sound impressive and that may be just what is needed here.

I have an older 5.1 surround version of these in a box gathering dust in my garage. The display on the optical controller is not as bright as it was but, otherwise, it still works. I should put that on Craigslist someday.
July 2010 iMac 2.93G i7 Quad, OWC eSATA mod, 32G RAM, OS 10.12.4
828mkII FW; MOTU MTP/AV USB with Firmware 2.0.1; DP 9.13, 9.02, 8.07 64bit, DP 7.24; IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan Antares, 32Lives, JBridge, MachFive 3.2.1
LogicPro X 10.3, Finale 25.3, 2014.5, Encore 5.0.7, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 4.4, QuickTime Pro 7.6.6, SmartScore Pro X2 10.5.5, Toast 15
Test machine: G4-1K Dual Processor: OS 10.4.11 / OS 9.2.2; DP 5.13; Encore 5.05 & 4.5.5; Toast 9.07b, legacy apps
mikehalloran

Postby Phil O » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:51 pm

I hear ya. [pun intended]
DP 9.02, Mac Pro 2.66 quad[1,1] (6 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 2.8 octo[3,1], (12 Gig RAM), OS 10.6.8/10.11.6, two MOTU 828s, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-1e, UAD-2, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Phil O

Postby stubbsonic » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:55 pm

Though I'm curious what he could achieve with EQ-- if boosting levels was a strategy to get discernible high end, perhaps he can do some experimenting with a graphic EQ (software or hardware) to find a curve that helps compensate for his loss.

As an aside, I've been wondering about the use of tactile speakers (bass shakers, and the like) for hearing impaired people. At the simplest level, using vibration to help augment what is heard. At a more experimental level, I wonder if a person who was beginning to experience hearing loss, if they started to condition their brain to take in tactile sensations and connect them to auditory signals, then when the auditory signals are weakened or not present, what would they perceive. I expect very high frequencies would be difficult to "feel" in a tactile way without some processing. Not sure if that's even possible. Just curious.
RMBP (2.6 i7), FF800, OS 10.10.5, DP8, Kontakt, Reaktor, K2661S, K2500RS, iPad4, (also an old sawtooth G4 with a UAD-1 for legacy apps).

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
stubbsonic

Previous

Return to General Macintosh