Moderator: James Steele

BKK-OZ
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Consumer grade speaker suggestions

Post by BKK-OZ »

Thanks comrade.
Cheers,
BK

…string theory says that all subatomic particles of the universe are nothing but musical notes. A, B-flat, C-sharp, correspond to electrons, neutrinos, quarks, and what have you. Therefore, physics is nothing but the laws of harmony of these strings. Chemistry is nothing but the melodies we can play on these strings. The universe is a symphony of strings and the mind of God… it is cosmic music resonating through 11 dimensional hyperspace.
- M Kaku
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:
BKK-OZ wrote:Can I ask what you ended up with in the end?
I haven't spoken to him yet about it. He's recovering from a medical procedure at a rehab facility and I'll give him some space until he gets back home. I'm still thinking that for his situation, the Logitechs may be fine. His hearing is so bad that volume may be more important than sound quality. You should hear how loud he has the TV blasting in his house! :?

Phil
Once you mentioned hearing aids, I agree. These are designed for gamers and watching Star Wars on a computer. I'm not kidding. Take a trip to Best Buy and see how they're demo'd. The highs and lows are hyped to sound impressive and that may be just what is needed here.

I have an older 5.1 surround version of these in a box gathering dust in my garage. The display on the optical controller is not as bright as it was but, otherwise, it still works. I should put that on Craigslist someday.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I hear ya. [pun intended]
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Though I'm curious what he could achieve with EQ-- if boosting levels was a strategy to get discernible high end, perhaps he can do some experimenting with a graphic EQ (software or hardware) to find a curve that helps compensate for his loss.

As an aside, I've been wondering about the use of tactile speakers (bass shakers, and the like) for hearing impaired people. At the simplest level, using vibration to help augment what is heard. At a more experimental level, I wonder if a person who was beginning to experience hearing loss, if they started to condition their brain to take in tactile sensations and connect them to auditory signals, then when the auditory signals are weakened or not present, what would they perceive. I expect very high frequencies would be difficult to "feel" in a tactile way without some processing. Not sure if that's even possible. Just curious.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com