At wit's end with iMessage

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by David Polich »

I have a problem now with iMessage. For reasons beyond me, any texts I now send appear on my wife's iPhone, and on a friend of mine's iPhone. Furthermore, I am getting texts sent to her from people only she knows.

My wife and I are on the same Apple ID, as I buy all our Apple products.

If I disable iMessage, I cannot then reply to anyone who has it enabled and sends me a text.

If anyone has any ideas on how I might address this issue, it would be so appreciated.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
HCMarkus

Re: At wit's end with iMessage

Post by HCMarkus »

I know there's a way Dave, but its been awhile for me and I don't remember. Anyway, my wife's and my phones still get confused now and then so I'll look forward to seeing if someone chimes in with a cogent and succinct directive.

Working within iOS always reminds me why I like a real (as in macOS or Windows) operating system.
buzzsmith

Post by buzzsmith »

I have a similar issue.

Shared Apple ID on mine and my wife's iPhones and 2 iPads. Sometimes, I'll see calls that don't ring on my phone, but show up in the Missed Calls list.

And, with so many junk phone calls going around, if I block what I thought was an unknown number on my phone, it blocks it on hers, too. Then I find out that it was either a co-worker or friend of hers and have to go back and unblock.

Also, any email that is sent to me with my iCloud account, she receives.

Texts have not been an issue...yet!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

David Polich wrote:I have a problem now with iMessage. For reasons beyond me, any texts I now send appear on my wife's iPhone...
"John... meet you at the sports bar for the game. Told my wife I'm Christmas shopping." :lol:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I had the same problem when my wife and I used the same Apple ID for the store, etc. The thing to do is to each have your own ID, with only one of them set up at the App store for purchases. Then assign the other ID as a "family member" who gets access to anything the main ID buys for the Mac, or iOS. Messages, picture sharing, icloud space now all works entirely separately for each Apple user account, but you only pay for software once.

If you have the account set up at the App store, other "family members" have to enter your password to buy things.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Or, have your own Apple IDs and use Family Sharing to manage purchases, which go under one person designated as the "organizer."
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Just check to see which e-mail/phone numbers are activated on each device. Lisa and I use the same Apple ID for most things, but we don't get each other's messages: we just pared the list of addresses in Messages (when you're using the same ID, it will usually add all the adds associated with your Apple account to every device).
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]