Notes on OSX 10.12 GM

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Gravity Jim
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Notes on OSX 10.12 GM

Post by Gravity Jim »

I have a day, so I decided to give this a spin. Here are some things I've noticed:

1. Universal Audio UAD-2 driver is unrecognized. Reinstalling did not help. Control Panel can't find the card.

2. Gobbler client doesn't run.

3. Repairing disk persmissions is really gone this time. The updated version of Cocktail does not offer the process, and the "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" command is not recognized. When you type "diskutil" for the list of operations, it is not there.

4. The arrow buttons on the side of my mouse, the ones that do the "forward" and "back" commands, are disabled.

That's all I've noticed so far. DP 9.12, AudioDesk, current NI, Slate, Spectrasonics, and Waves stuff all seem to run just fine, as do utilities like Transmit (FTP client) and StroboSoft and productivity stuff like Office, Photoshop. Printer and scanner drivers are A-OK, new version of Apple stuff like Mail and Photos all opened my old profiles without a hitch.

So, all I need are new drivers from UA and Logitech, and a new version of Gobbler and we're 100%.

Anybody else giving this a whirl?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Gravity Jim

Re: Notes on OSX 10.12 GM

Post by Gravity Jim »

I learned that UAD's (and probably Logitech's, too) drivers are being hampered by a new System Integrity Protection routine. An easy fix, I'm sure, but you can disable the SIP via Terminal and everything will work as before. (Instructions on the interwebz.)

Naturally, don't ever update your OS, or anything, really, until you have created a bootable clone your start-up drive and verify it will boot. Time Machine is nice, but this is JIC it doesn't work.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
mikehalloran

Re: Notes on OSX 10.12 GM

Post by mikehalloran »

Gravity Jim wrote:I have a day, so I decided to give this a spin. Here are some things I've noticed:

3. Repairing disk persmissions is really gone this time.
It's still possible but may be a moving target till the general release (next month?). I don't want to post how to do it till then.

Apple may have finally made it unnecesary. That will be easy enough to test with some older apps that don't work properly unless it's done..

10... 9... 8... 7... 6...
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro