MacUpdate... B.S.?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

stratology

Re: MacUpdate... B.S.?

Post by stratology »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Little Snitch may have messed up my network access after Yosemite was updated. Never reinstalled it and do miss the extra control of data. I suppose I should see if they've fixed that.

Little Snitch is a firewall that blocks only outgoing network connections (from your Mac to the Internet, or to connected devices).

Issues I recall are things that are not obvious network issues, like the inability to display Help from the Help menu in Final Cut Pro, or failed iPod sync from iTunes.
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

I had to redo my entire system, guided by 2nd tier Apple support. They implicated Little Snitch. With so much app support tied to remote servers it's not surprising to see problems. In my case it was the SKing up to two minutes for my machine to see my network on startup, along with other access to network devices. I miss the little guy. :(
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stratology wrote:Little Snitch is a firewall that blocks only outgoing network connections (from your Mac to the Internet, or to connected devices).
That's what I thought until someone here pointed out that more recent versions look at incoming connections too. Go into Little Snitch Configuration and look at the bottom of the Rules list.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
stratology

Post by stratology »

bayswater wrote:
stratology wrote:Little Snitch is a firewall that blocks only outgoing network connections (from your Mac to the Internet, or to connected devices).
That's what I thought until someone here pointed out that more recent versions look at incoming connections too. Go into Little Snitch Configuration and look at the bottom of the Rules list.
I wasn't aware of that, because there has been no need to remove Little Snitch from any computer recently :D .

OS X has several built in firewalls (that block incoming connections), so has pretty much every router. Having more than one firewall makes no sense, when a port is blocked, blocking it a second time does nothing...
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

stratology wrote:
bayswater wrote:
I wasn't aware of that, because there has been no need to remove Little Snitch from any computer recently :D .

OS X has several built in firewalls (that block incoming connections), so has pretty much every router. Having more than one firewall makes no sense, when a port is blocked, blocking it a second time does nothing...
Unless you end up victim of an exploit that allows a piece of software to bypass one of those firewalls. :evil:
stratology

Post by stratology »

Robert Randolph wrote:
Unless you end up victim of an exploit that allows a piece of software to bypass one of those firewalls. :evil:
Do you have an example? Does it change my point? If a piece of software can actually open a port in one firewall, why would it be unable to open it in another firewall? I'm genuinely curious..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Properly configured, a firewall is very difficult to break. Since it is dumb, it can only follow the rules it knows so it's not impossible by creating a packet that follows no known rules. Still, nearly all attacks are inside jobs—email attachments, downloads etc.

http://security.stackexchange.com/quest ... -firewalls

https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/be ... iguration/

There are good reasons not to run any OS older than the current one on any device hooked up to the internet.

http://www.cnet.com/news/your-iphone-or ... -imessage/

A VPN is best but not invulnerable. There are still ways to let the bad guys in.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp

Torguard seems to be the VPN of choice for many downloaders but it has some security issues of its own.
http://www.cloudwards.net/torguard-review/
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro