10.11.6 issues, several apps don't work at all [solved]

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Anders Peev
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

10.11.6 issues, several apps don't work at all [solved]

Post by Anders Peev »

Hi all! Several third party apps are not starting up on my 2016 Macbook Air. New apps and old apps. At first I thought Abelton live was not functioning on OS 10.11.6 but then I downloaded a demo of Qlab and other freeware apps in order to find a replacement for Live. I'm doing a premier show on friday in which I nerd an app to run sound files triggered through an app that can recieve MIDI. And none of them seem to even start up. What to do?
Last edited by Anders Peev on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikehalloran

Re: 10.11.6 issues several apps don't work at all

Post by mikehalloran »

DP 7.24 works fine in 10.11.6 but authorizing it requires a CD drive or one of the many workarounds found on these boards. Repair permissions in Terminal when you are done.

Many old apps won't work. Some became obsolete in 10.7, others in 10.8, 10.9 and so on. Some freeware is up to date but other apps are not. When there's no financial incentive, developers get around to it when they want.

Ableton Live 9.5 certainly works and is supported in El Capitan. Looks like time for an update.

MainStage is $29.95 from the App Store. Is this something you can use?

Besides DP 7.24, Office 2008, Acrobat Pro X, Photoship Elements 6 and 10 are among the many old apps I have working in 10.11.6.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Sounds like a security setting. There's one to allow or block apps NOT from the App Store. Just set it to allow them and you should be fine.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Sounds like a security setting. There's one to allow or block apps NOT from the App Store. Just set it to allow them and you should be fine.
That's Gatekeeper.

Many old apps older than 10.7.5 Lion require you to disable Gatekeeper temporarily to install. If you do not reenable it manually, Gatekeeper will reset after 30 days.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

In any event, go to PREFERENCES>SECURITY>GENERAL and allow apps from anywhere. That should fix it.

2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

Thanks for the quick replies! I will do all this, starting with MIDI life crisis's last post.

/ Anders
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

Changing to "Anywhere" in Security & Privacy did not help unfortunately. :(

Neither Live or Qlab starts. In the force quit window they are given marked red text saying "Doesn't answer". I'm probably saying it wrong, I've got my OS set to Swedish.

Maybe Mainstage will work. At least it's an Apple-softwere. I'm planning to trigger ready made soundfiles with a MIDI foot pedal on stage. I used to do this with Ableton live years ago but I don't need all the other features of Ableton live, just the MIDI-learn-triggering. Is it possible/easy to just list soundcues and trigger them from a MIDI device in Mainstage?

Best/ Anders
MIDI Life Crisis

I'd also repair permissions.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

I ran Onyx earlier today. And just now I repaired permissions in Terminal. The problem remains. :(
stratology

Post by stratology »

Anders Peev wrote: Neither Live or Qlab starts.
What exactly happens when you try to launch the app? Does the Dock icon bounce? Do you get a crash notification after the app tried to launch?

Are you trying to launch the app from the Dock? Try to launch it directly from the /Applications folder, see if that makes any difference.

Was the update to 10.11.6 the last change before issues started, or did you change anything else?

I'd suggest you try to systematically isolate the issue. First, create a new user account, and see if the issue occurs there as well. If it does, it means it's a system wide issue, if not, it's something in your home folder.

This, and other troubleshooting steps, are explained here and here.

Let us know what you find.
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

Thanks for the reply Stratology!

-The dock icon bounces
-The spinning multi coloured ball appears for a few seconds
-I open the app from the app folder in finder
-No error message appears, only in the force quit window Mac OS tells me that the app won't answer (or what ever it is called in the english OS).
-It was months ago since i switched to 10.11.6
-I created a new user, the problem remains

I have also tried rebooting while pressing shift. I have repaired permissions
in Terminal. I've run Onyx.

[edit]
• I've now reinstalled El Capitan (from a combo update, according to a site about mac trouble shooting) with no change.

• I just bought a 30$ software called MIX16 from appstore that might do the job for me, only, it doesn't work on my mac. It gives me this error message when it launches:

MIX16 PRO ERROR
Cannot initialize MIDI. Error code 10-268451843.

• In the Sound and MIDI utilities app, the MIDI studio won't launch. After 10 minutes or so an error sign tells me that a recently installed MIDI-driver could have caused it not to open.
Anders Peev

Post by Anders Peev »

I found a sollution!!!

It seemed as I had a MIDI initialization problem. On a Logic Pro forum someone had posted that entering this in Terminal would fix it:

sudo rm -rf /Library/Audio/MIDI\ Drivers/*

And it did! Now both Live and the other apps launch! Does anyone know what the line above means?

All the best/
Anders
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: 10.11.6 issues several apps don't work at all [solved]

Yay! One last thing to do, if you don't mind.

GO back to your initial post, hit EDIT and edit JUST THE TITLE to add [solved].

This will help people in the future who are looking for a solution to the same problem.

Thanks. And thanks for sharing the solution and Terminal command line!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Anders Peev

Re: 10.11.6 issues several apps don't work at all [solved]

Post by Anders Peev »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:Yay! One last thing to do, if you don't mind.

GO back to your initial post, hit EDIT and edit JUST THE TITLE to add [solved].
Done! Thanks all!

Anders
mikehalloran

Re: 10.11.6 issues, several apps don't work at all [solved]

Post by mikehalloran »

You removed 3rd party drivers–at least one was causing a conflict that needed to be resolved. This doesn't tell you what the conflict was but you had one and it's gone.

If a peripheral no longer works that should, reinstall the latest driver for that device only.