Mouse reco needed

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Mouse reco needed

Post by dix »

I bought a Magic Mouse and can't get used to it. I like the inertia and swipe functionality but miss being able to scroll incrementally. Also, Option-clicking is awkward without a dedicated button.

Is there a mouse out there that that has a physical, clickable scroll wheel that allows for inertia scrolling?

Thx
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: Mouse reco needed

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Logitech's MX Revolution and their flagship MX Performance mouse do. The latest Performance version is not as useful to me as the original Revolution in that the thumb button is gone and the side buttons are hard to reach.

I've been using a magic trackpad for the last 3 or 4 months and don't use a mouse at all. It's a big shift for me, but it's working out pretty well. My motor memory still wants to gram a potato and start wiggling, but letting my fingers do the walking (instead my wrists) is starting to feel much better ergonomically (at least, my ergo is feeling stroked). LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
dix

Post by dix »

Cool. I might try a MX Performance (MX Revolution is $300+!). The internet isn't clear whether it works for lefties. Can you tell?

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
MIDI Life Crisis

Seems like a right handed device to me. Those bastards!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Mice are the bane of my existence, as I have tiny hands and get CTS from almost every mouse available (even pricier ones are built for "average hands"). Mouse ergonomics are quite important to me, as well as grip (the biggest problem).

I have the same issues with magic Mouse, but as it is the first mouse Apple has ever produced that I feel PHYSICALLY comfortable with, I have continued to live with its flaws (listed above).

On Windows, I use a specific (and expensive, near $100) Logitech model. I am at home today though, so can't tell you the model name off-hand. I think it comes in both handedness, but am not 100% sure. It has a slight curve to it (for handedness), a mild profile but higher than Magic Mouse, is shorter than Magic Mouse, but has an excellent clickable scroll wheel that you can toggle between click and smooth scroll. It is a laser mouse with AAA batteries and a USB receptor (no cable to the mouse).

I don't think such mice are easily made to work with OS X, however -- just as Magic Mouse requires dangerous virus-prone software to work on Windows. This is why I still use different mice per platform.

Having just spent half the week setting up a brand new Windows 10 box at work, coming from Windows 7, I will be scouting out new mice very soon, since my Logitech mouse is beyond repair and too flakey to use anymore. I can't reorder it, because even though the part number and product name didn't change, they made it 1 mm taller and that's enough to cause my wrist to cramp up. So I need to find a similar mouse design, like you, and hopefully one that can easily be used on both platforms.

Hopefully the nearby Fry's and Best Buy will have a representative selection. I have spent far too many hours on-line getting frustrated by lack of important specs or specs that show inappropriateness for my needs. Even $300 mice don't bother to accommodate people with handedness requirements or who have issues with the grip height of most models.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Dix, on a separate note, if I do end up getting an expensive one and like it, feel free to get in touch for a get-together to try it out, since you're local.

Or maybe you can take a chance on an order that allows returns. Typically though, you'll suffer a recharge on shipping, which can be relative high per cost of the item itself, of course.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
dix

Post by dix »

Thanks mhschmieder. Let me know which mouse you end up with and if you like it. Looks like the MX Performance is right handed only :(. I'm not so particular about the ergonomics really. I'm just after the inertia with a standard scroll wheel. It wasn't till I tried a Magic Mouse did it even occur to me how useful inertia is while working with large sequences.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

I think this is the mouse I'm going to have my I.T. staff order (we have a policy against employees buying things and being reimbursed):

http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/ ... 35-review/

Of all of the mice I saw at Fry's in Concord today, it felt the best in my tiny hands, yet gets great reviews from those with large hands as well since its profile is flatter than Logitech's other small mice and therefore adapts well to many hand sizes (like Apple's Magic Mouse).

I think the one I currently have is the M325 (aka Model 910), but I'll check when I get to work. Interestingly, I've seen a lot of on-line reviews complaining of the same problems I'm having with responsiveness, so it may not be a "dust inside the mechanism" problem after all on mine.

The Logitech M525 is an interesting model that seems slightly superior to the M325, and there's another one that has specific handedness for a rubber wrist pad on the side, but I felt that one might cause sores with long use. The M525 however, is a contender, as it has a similar profile to the M325 but seems a bit more professional and responsive.

Both the M535 and the M525 dispense with the old detented clicking style for the scroll wheel. The one that I currently have (whether or not it is the M325) can be clicked to enter and exit detented scrolling mode, which remains my preference to continuous scrolling.

The 500-series mice from Logitech tend to be programmable for gestures and the like, and are OK for either handedness. I think they are velocity-sensitive for scrolling, but can't tell without plugging in.

Microsoft makes a similar mouse, but I didn't write down its name after finding several good ones from Logitech. I know the Logitech 500-series mice are all stated as being compatible with Mac OS X.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The Logitech MX Master is the one with the built-in wrist guard, and wins the top award from that review site I linked earlier, by a country mile.

http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/ ... er-review/

Shockingly, for a higher-end mouse that isn't ambidextrous, it does NOT come in a left-handed version.

Although I've never seen one in person, and its build quality is said to not be great, the only other muse of note in that top ten list (the others are right-handed-only) is one from Samsung that I've never seen but which has several rare features in a small profile:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/computers/ ... ng-review/

Given my problems with my current Logitech nano-mouse, construction quality is really important to me in my next mouse.

dix

Post by dix »

Thanks for this follow-up report! We're really down in the weeds with the mice now!

The Logitech M535 could be good. I'll be curious to hear if the sideways scrolling works in DP. Mainly, I'm after the inertia though. It doesn't appear to do it - nothing in the Logitech info or Amazon reviews mentions Magic Mouse-style inertia. ...apart from numeric fields in DP, that I find much easier to tweak with an incremental scroll wheel, I recently noticed that single frame advancing in Quicktime can't be done with a Magic Mouse either :( Plus there's no field to enter frames!

FWIW my setup for now is a wireless two-mouse system. I have my keyboard and mouse pad mounted below my desk and then have another mouse pad on top of the desk where I keep the scroll-wheel mouse for when I need to do incremental moves. ...or the reverse. since they're both wireless.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The Microsoft mouse might be the ticket, but I forget its name and the one I saw on that Top Ten list is a different model and only for right-handed people. You might want to check their catalogue and then the specs on a couple of specific models. The one I liked was similar to the Logitech that I have now.

dix

Post by dix »

Microsoft mice (or is it mouses?) look good, but it doesn't look like they do the inertia thing.
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

The new Logitech mouse should arrive later this coming week. It will be interesting to see whether it supports inertia-based scrolling, as the specs are scant.

I have an older Kensington mouse that I forgot about, that anyone can have for free, but it's probably almost eight to ten years old so is unlikely to have sophisticated scrolling support. It does have actual buttons and a scroll wheel though. I found it while searching for my neglected Magic Trackpad v1.

dix

Post by dix »

How'd that Logitech mouse work out? I'm still mouse hunting. Apart from no inertia, the scrolling increments the Logitech mouse I bought recently provide are much too big and there's not a way to adjust it - for instance one scrolling increment bumps a soundbite's gain by 12db. My USB mouse just bumps it 1db as it should. So the hunt for the perfect mouse continues...
MIDI Life Crisis

FWIW - I haven't used a mouse in about 6 months or so since getting the MagicTrackpad 2. I also have ver 1 but rarely used it. Too small for me and no tactile feedback.

I'm still not as fast as I was with my multi-button mouse for some things, but the impact on my hands and wrist is non-existent. Much easier on my chops, and they're the money makers right now so I'm lovin' no rodents hanging around the studio. I'll still let a certain mouse in from time to time. It is, after all, Burbank. LOL
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

MIDI LIFE CRISIS