RESOLVED: El Capitan repeatedly refuses to install - secret!

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

mhschmieder
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: RESOLVED: El Capitan repeatedly refuses to install - sec

Post by mhschmieder »

I ignored the Apple ID login and was able to bypass it. maybe I can get I.T.'s help in sorting out that mess later today.

Eclipse IDE launches and works, so no problems there. Same with Oxygen XML Editor, even though they have bizarrely stayed stuck on Apple's abandoned Java 6 vs. Oracle's true cross-platform Java 7 or Java 8.

Well, I did have to re-install Java 6 for Oxygen XML Editor to work, but that was expected, as it would have been a surprise had the El Capitan installation preserved that by-hand OS-level detail, which I also had to take care of after my Yosemite upgrade.

Performance is really slow while the system is busy optimizing, so I don't have the patience to launch any of my minor apps right now. Most of my developer tools are Windows-only, or I was only granted Windows licenses.

The only thing that isn't working so far, is Subversion source control at the command-line level in the console. Works fine via the special Eclipse Subversive plug-in. I'll get my devops guy to help.

Update: oh yeah, I just realized that xcode doesn't install by default anymore. They made a mess of the distribution pre-Yosemite and it resulted in confusion over redundant files and multiple locations, but I think they re-rationalized it with Yosemite going forward. But you have to do it manually. Shouldn't be hard to find the files at Apple's site though.

Anyway, I think these issues are likely bigger than anything I'll experience on the home machine, which has no developer tools other than for Xcode (which I rarely use).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

As far as I know, the reason this board might have rejected actual names was that the board software might not have supported the "space" character as a user name. I too like the use of real names and have always used mine as I think it keeps things more civil. People are much more likely to exercise restraint in discussions when they're not hiding behind anonymity.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.4.1 Sonoma, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Apple needs to get their act together. There's no excuse, with how many people they have working there. I'm a sole developer who has to wear way too many hats and has a 17+ year burden that is difficult to bear, so I really resent it when companies that are drowning in resources don't bother with the important stuff.

So many red herrings. If anything goes wrong with anything you try to do with an Apple-managed site, the messages are all totally bogus. Apple's own write-ups are incomplete, inaccurate, out-of-date, etc.

Anyway, the point this time is that the Apple ID issue was yet another red herring. It rejects email addresses, even though that's how we register, and only accepts usernames -- even though earlier today, I received an error message to the contrary. No idea why it greyed out the username field earlier today, but the El Capitan upgrade "fixed" that at least.

I am upgrading to the latest El Capitan release now, as I was blocked from access to the Xcode updates.

It's really weird how the Xcode webpage only gives you access to the beta release of Xcode 8, and no way to get to current stable public versions. I had to do a number of web searches to find those links (which aren't currently working, but might after updating El Capitan to be current) and forum discussions.

This is all basic stuff. And it affects millions of people. Contrast this with how much more helpful and detailed most of these small vendors are that we deal with for our DAW's, plug-ins, VI's, etc. It's shameful.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I just realized that xcode doesn't install by default anymore
Did it ever?

I remember a check box going way back—10.2? but never on by default. Later, it became an optional installer like Developer Tools and QT 7 for Intel— there but you had to search for it. I've not used it since I worked for Pac Bell so I haven't noticed its absence.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Just a clarification on the AppStore login Catch-22 that keeps hitting me on startup and seems insurmountable:

This problem (of not accepting the existing User ID) seems specific to iCloud, which I never use but which seems to have different requirements for legitimate ID's/usernames. Hence the Catch-22, I guess.

Anyway, the login screen doesn't let you step past iCloud once that catch-22 is hit, so you have to just ignore the AppStore login and do it manually once you are in your session. Oh well.

Everything took longer than I expected, so I am only just now in a position to download and install Xcode 7, if it lets me (vs. forcing the beta of Xcode 8 on me).

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Well, this is weird: I get the same error message even after logging in directly to the AppStore, when visiting https://developer.apple.com/downloads/ : "Your session has expired. Please log in".

Yet there's no way to log in. It doesn't matter if I flush my cache.

Apple is so annoying.

Still better than Microsoft/Windows, but it seems like a race to the bottom.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Talk about weird. Only through a web search did I find a useful link for Xcode 7.3.1, but it is in a totally unexpected place: at the iTunes site! Who would think of that?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcode/id497799835?mt=12

I typed that in on my Windows box while looking at my Mac screen, but hopefully it is correct.

Underneath the icon, there's an oval button to "View in Mac App Store", at which point I can log in (again), and the App Store then shows a page for Xcode with an oval "Get" button underneath the icon, which then changes to "Installing" (like it's a drop-list choice, arrow and all -- weird).

We'll see how this plays out.

I have always despised the AppStore and find it bug-ridden, inflexible, broken, etc. If something fails or doesn't complete, it still shows up as though it finished, forever and ever. What B.S. I do NOT consider this a professional way of dealing with tools downloads and the like. Maybe for toy apps it's OK.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Oh, how lovely: 7 hours to download the 3 GB that is Xcode. What the heck?

Edit: This is kind of funny, because now that I'm in the editor, my three-letter acronym still shows up, but it displays on the screen as a non-profanity and unabbreviated. I always thought it was OK to use acronyms for obscenities.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

OK, all is fine on my work computer now. Xcode just now finished installing (the estimate went up and down the entire time), and I simply had to use sudo to run "svn up", followed by several license reads and acceptances for Xcode.

Hopefully updating the home computer will be simpler/faster than this.

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

In spite of the other issues and the actual need to set the clock back to 2015, I guess my App Store downloaded installer was corrupted after all, as it still failed but the external FireWire drive from work succeeded (though much slower, of course).

This went much quicker, and without a hitch, compared to the work computer upgrade. I have just finished the updater for 10.11.6 and that too went flawlessly. Apple Mail had to rebuild its database for both updates, but now that is done as well.

This version of OS X is faster than the previous, and more efficient all around. In fact, it did so much cleanup work on my System Drive that I now have an additional 20 GB of free space.

Disk Utility now has a "Repair" tab instead of action buttons for "Verify/Repair Permissions" and "Verify/Repair Disc". I ran it on all drives and it was super-fast, with similar feedback, so I think it's doing the same thing (more or less) as the old features?

I did not yet install Xcode on the home computer as I know that takes awhile to download, and I only occasionally use it for XML and Preferences editing (but I have four other tools for the latter; two of them free and auto-installed, and the other two commercial/purchased and pre-dating the freebies).