Repairing Permissions in El Cap to fix VST/AU verification

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

Steve Steele
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Repairing Permissions in El Cap to fix VST/AU verification

Post by Steve Steele »

So, as everyone knows Apple removed Repair Permissions in El Cap in both Disk Utility and the Terminal, but the ability to verify/repair is still available in the Terminal as a command. There's a good reason to use it if you use a lot of programs that verify and access plugins such as AUs and VSTs.

There are several situations which may cause permissions to differ, causing a new that you just installed to crash during the initial verification process. For example, if you have performed a clean install and used the Finder to copy your plugins from the old system to the new system, even if you're using the same User name, permissions will differ causing apps that need to verify plugins upon first launch to crash. It can also cause apps that have already verified plugins to crash intermittently.

Here's the fix for El Cap users:

1) Open Terminal

2) Type or copy and paste this command leaving out the "", "sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --verify --standard-pkgs /"

**When using sudo, Terminal will ask for your password the first time.**

If you see any results involving the Plug-Ins folder like the ones below, you should repair permissions.

User differs on "Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components", should be 0, user is 501.
Permissions differ on "Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components", should be drwxr-xr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx .
Group differs on "Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/MAS", should be 0, group is 80.
User differs on "Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST", should be 0, user is 501.

3) To repair, use the same command but change "--verify" to "--repair", or copy and paste this..

"sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /"

4) Launch the app that was having trouble verifying plugins and all should work fine.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra, 128GBs Unified memory, 4TB SSD.
Interfaces: MOTU M2 and 8A (2.1 and 5.1 setups).
DAWs: Digital Performer 11, Logic Pro, Cubase 12 Pro, Studio One Pro.
Sample Libraries: Primary - VSL (all), Spitfire, (mostly all), and many others.
External Controllers: Metagrid Pro and Studio Logic SL|MIXFACE
mikehalloran

Re: Repairing Permissions in El Cap to fix VST/AU verificati

Post by mikehalloran »

There are many threads on this. Here it is in the Tips Sheet

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6480&p=527222&hili ... ns#p527222
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

mikehalloran wrote:There are many threads on this. Here it is in the Tips Sheet

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6480&p=527222&hili ... ns#p527222
Jeez Mike - Enough is enough. God forbid I post something that doesn't meet your DP power user standards. This was a bit more specific than "how to repair permissions in El Cap". It's about solving plugin verification issues. Some people may not want to search through DP tips for solving a specific issue.

I've noticed more often than not when I post something you've responded with your critique and opinion within minutes of my post. When did you become the forum genius?

You know I've been using DP since version 1.7, worked at Apple in a high end OS tech department (was a consultant to David Pogue for one of his Mac books), and now compose full time and on the side build complete modified Mac Pro systems for a few clients. Should I go on?

In other words, I know my stuff. Been doing this a loooong time. This is a friendly community. I post a few things when I have the time, (hopefully in the right place), and move on.

But what I don't like is what seems like your attempts at one-upmanship. I really don't take kindly to those kinds of tactics.

If I'm wrong and have been posting useless information in all the wrong places, then I apologize. I'll read the rules of the forum and try to be a better member.

But if I'm right, please stop trying to prove yourself by discrediting my posts, and at the same time ruining my desire to be a member of this great community.

Steve

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Uhhh... Steve. There have been a number of threads where everything you brought up has been discussed—and argued, too. You can search and find them all.

I happen to agree with your conclusions.

The link I posted had a number of other useful terminal commands.

You can thank me later. Or not.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

I went to the Mac area, looked around and didn't see any mention of repairing permissions for apps crashing at VST verification. So, I left a quick post.

If it's old news then it will be ignored. If it's been posted somewhere else and I missed it or didn't find it in a search then so what.

I don't come up behind your posts and mention that your post has been said and done (I mentioned the sudo purge command and why it should be used at least two years ago, but I didn't come up after your tip and tell you that).

I'm not sure if you get why that's annoying. But just stop doing it and all will be fine.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Never hurts to see good information, even if it may have been stated before. One thing I've learned is that people don't always see/understand information the first time around. It is also clear that we value information most when it coincides with our personal needs at the time.

Thanks for taking the time to post Steve.

PS: Howz that blistering PCIe SSD array performing for you?
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

I wouldn't want people to not post information when they find out something (whether or not it has been discussed or threaded at length previously) - I actually found this useful. On the other hand looking at Mike's post it doesn't seem like he is undermining you - and I found his posting of the link also useful. So I say keep posting stuff you find out if you think it helps this forum's members - tone is the hardest thing to work out from a post and sometimes offence is taken when it isn't necessarily there.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Steve Steele

Post by Steve Steele »

HCMarkus wrote: PS: Howz that blistering PCIe SSD array performing for you?
It's still smokin! And I suppose surprisingly, it's been quietly reliable. Crazy how I was using hard drives one year, SSDs the next and BAM, that monster came out of nowhere. You don't see that kind of thing very often. Combine that with the MAS version of VEP, and working with DP became such an effortless pleasure to work with again. :woohoo:

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Tone is the hardest thing to work out from a post and sometimes offence is taken when it isn't necessarily there.
You got that right GG! I've written letters that I thought broached delicate subjects in a completely reasonable and inoffensive way only to have the recipient rip me a new one later, lambasting me for my lack of sensitivity. It is most definitely a challenge to write in a manner that accurately imparts the inflections available to us with the spoken word.

William Howard Taft said "Don't write so that you can be understood, write so that you can't be misunderstood."

Something to aspire to.