Maybe time for a new monitor.

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

wdegillio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Maybe time for a new monitor.

Post by wdegillio »

I think my current main monitor, an 8-year-old 21.5 inch Samsung, is starting to die. It is taking several minutes to "warm up' during which it remains black, then works normally. (A quick search posits the issue as an "inverter board??".) I don't think I want to pour money into an 8-year-old monitor, especially since I'm sure display technology has improved greatly since 2008. I'll most likely replace it with a 24 inch, and keep using my 12-year-old 19 inch Samsung (which is still going strong!) as a 2nd display.

I see that some of displays have a curved rather than flat panel. I'd love to hear some opinions on wether this is good or not for DP use. (I'm not a gamer, and I rarely watch videos on my Mac. My TV is in another room.)
Thanks in advance!
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
mikehalloran

Re: Maybe time for a new monitor.

Post by mikehalloran »

Decent HDMI monitors are cheap and pretty good nowadays. Get one that is backlit. The newest ones use so little energy that they are actually cool to the touch.

Apple does not offer some of the adapters needed to hook them up to any Mac but those adapters are readily available and not very expensive.

As far as curved? Best to find a store that has some so that you can take a look for yourself. You're in LA. I go to Fry's up here in the Silicon Valley for things like this. Yes, you can order online but it's much easier to compare in person.

What year is your Mini?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Personally I find curved monitors and TVs to be more of a gimmick than an actual benefit. The theory is that they emulate a cinematic experience and even a quasi 3D view. However, if the program material isn't created for that format and aspect ratio the results are going to be distorted. In close proximity it would also require greater head movements. My neck wouldn't like that one bit. Consumers see curved displays in stores and the novelty grabs them as a "new surround" experience. It's a passing fancy and no doubt will get old quickly. On top of that, you'll pay a premium for the luxury for distorting the image.

I'd rather put that expense towards a better quality flat screen. A good used 30" Apple Cinema Display or even a smaller one might be worth looking into.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

What year is your Mini?[/quote]

I was lucky enough to find a 2012 new in a sealed box right after Apple improved (ahem!!) them, Mike.

There is a Fry's just north of me in "the Valley" I could check out. I know the place well!

That's a good point, MIDI Life Crisis. I don't need gimmicks or novelty. Hey, I just thought of a new tag line; I like my computer displays flat and my women curved!

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

:rofl:
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Not having on board VRAM limits you on some of the more exotic upper end monitors such as the 30" Apple that normally requires a dual-link DVI connection.

One monitor will plug right into the HDMI port and you can plug a second HDMI monitor into the TB port with the right adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini ... B00NH13K8S

You can also get the Apple TB monitor for that second port.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

mikehalloran wrote:Not having on board VRAM limits you on some of the more exotic upper end monitors such as the 30" Apple that normally requires a dual-link DVI connection.

One monitor will plug right into the HDMI port and you can plug a second HDMI monitor into the TB port with the right adapter.
http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini ... B00NH13K8S

You can also get the Apple TB monitor for that second port.
That's a good point, Mike, but fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) I wasn't planning on spending the big bucks on a large, high end monitor anyway. I'll most likely look at the mid-priced 24-inch ones, or, I can spring for a 27-inch and retire my 19-inch. As it stands, since both my current displays have only DVI connectors, I have them plugged into my Display Port and TB port with the appropriate adapters, and that's been working fine.

On a side note, you're right about displays being cheap now. I found the sales receipt from my old 19-inch Samsung from 12 years ago. I paid over $800 for it!.

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Retire your DVI monitors. The energy savings including air conditioning will pay for one or two backlit LED HDMI monitors in the first year.

Seriously, when you head to Fry's, put your hand on top of the display units—these will have been on for a few hours—and notice how cool they run. A couple ot three will look better than the others and they might not be the most expensive.

They're advertising 27" monitors under $200; 24" under $149 and 23" under $120 but don't buy solely on price, of course. You're going to be staring at these for a number of years.
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

Thank you, Mike; great idea. It looks like Fry's will be getting some of my money very soon. (I'll put my DVI displays in my closet, along with my Leisure Suits and Palm Pilot.)

Good point also about not basing my decision on price alone. I'll check out all the options in person, and I'm sure I'll find a display I'll like. There seem to be quite a few options in the mid-price range. Wish me luck!

hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hamburski »

I read this thread with interest as I've debated replacing my 8-year-old Dell DVI monitors as well. But mostly because I've been advised that unless I'm using actual Thunderbolt-connection monitors (as opposed to DVI-to-TB adapters) with my 2015 Mac Pro, I won't be able to attach a third monitor. Do you know if this is so?

I recently moved into a new studio where I was bequeathed a TV monitor and was fantasizing that I could just hook it up with an HDMI cable out of my Mac Pro and drag picture from within DP onto the TV monitor as a third screen. Is this just wishful thinking?
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

As the thread starter, hamburski, I'll chime in here, but this is a question for Mike. I'm pretty sure the video capabilities of a Mac Pro are quite different than those of a Mini (which I own), so I'll let someone more qualified answer your question if they wish.

As a quick update, I purchased a 24 inch LG last week, and I can't believe the difference in clarity over my 8-year-old Samsung. In fact, since I can't stand to look at my old 19 inch next to the new monitor, I'll be making another trip to Fry's today to get a 22 inch LG to keep the 24 inch company! And, the new displays are as light as a feather!

hamburski

Post by hamburski »

Thanks, wdegillio! Just curious, which specific LG model did you pick and how did you arrive at as the best choice for your setup?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

My latest monitor was a 24" LG also. It looked the best. I bought it last Fall so I don't know if it's current.

A 2015 Mac Pro can support up to 6 monitors out of the gate (fewer if using 4K displays). You have 1 HDMI and 6 TB (Mini DVI) ports. There are articles in Apple Support that tell you how. Start with this one:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202801

To use more than 2 displays on an iMac or Mini, one needs to be looking at USB–HDMI adapters as I do. Although these, too, will work with your nMP, you don't need to go that route.
hamburski

Post by hamburski »

Hey Mike,

Thanks; I did manage to stumble across that article on my way to posting here as well...the fact that I'm plugging a pair of older monitors into the displayport/TB inputs via adapters is what's hanging me up, since I'll readily admit I don't entirely grasp how Thunderbolt differs from displayport while sharing a common input size, nor how HDMI differs from all of that.

I'm guessing I could continue to keep my two existing monitors plugged in and add the TV monitor via the HDMI port but am still trying to figure out, in the mac system prefs, if that will let me keep seeing my desktop (and therefor DP) spread out over two screens *and* let me drag video hosted in DP up to the TV screen...
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

I bought the model LG 24M38H-B. As Mike H. suggested, I did see it in person, and it did look a little better than some of the cheaper models they had in stock. Also, it is VESA mountable, which some of the lower-priced models are not. For now, I'm using it on its supplied stand, but once I get the second monitor, I may incorporate a different mounting system. I tried to get used to using just one monitor, but I'm used to having more screen real estate.