Maybe time for a new monitor.

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Maybe time for a new monitor.

Post by hamburski »

I see, thanks! I'm used to a two-monitor setup too, but the word from one of the guys at Texas Media Systems is that the Mac will only see two monitors at a time without an additional internal card. If this is so, then depending on how much of a hassle that is, I'm thinking it may make sense to upgrade to a single widescreen like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... lsrc=aw.ds. (Though I need to figure out what the difference is between this one and the one that costs more than twice as much :-).

If the 34" LG will connect via the same DVI-to-displayport adapters I've been using, then I could pair the single wide monitor with the HDMI-connected TV screen and call it a day.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Open the Displays preference. Check the box "Show mirroring options...". It will now be in your system toolbar at the top of the screen. You can then play with the options and drag your displays into the arrangement you prefer.

My three monitors are different heights. I have them set up so that, as I drag the cursor horizontally, it stays on the exact plane as it switches from screen to screen.

I pop DP windows out of the Consolidated Window and drag to where I want them. When I save the project, DP remembers where unless I make the mistake of opening it again with only one monitor turned on.
but the word from one of the guys at Texas Media Systems is that the Mac will only see two monitors at a time without an additional internal card
as opposed to Apple and all of us running multiple displays?

Get HDMI monitors. Get the correct adapters. Follow the instructions. Call Apple if need be.

There are no additional display cards available for the 2013+ Mac Pro.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hamburski
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by hamburski »

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the clarifications! As far as someone offering me advice that conflicts with the collective wisdom of Apple and the users here - well now, that's why I'm talking with you guys about it, isn't it :-).
Get HDMI monitors. Get the correct adapters. Follow the instructions. Call Apple if need be.
HDMI-TB adapters? And aside from video quality, would it be all the same if I just continued using my DVI monitors - with the correct adapters?
There are no additional display cards available for the 2013+ Mac Pro.
That's good, because I have no desire to mess with anything like that anyway.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Thunderbolt supports Mini Display Port. Most monitors are HDMI. MDP—HDMI adapters are inexpensive but Apple doesn't sell them. This one's $10 but you can get them for less.
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Min ... B00NH13K8S

The Apple adapter mentioned by Support also has a USB port.

I know that, for two monitors, you don't need the Apple adapter. It might be that you do for three or more. One can certainly be hooked directly to the built in HDMI port.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
wdegillio

Post by wdegillio »

The plot thickens...

I learned a little something about "pixel size" yesterday. I did get a 22" LG monitor to use as a second display, BUT, I came to find out that I could not get the displays to "match" (image size-wise) since their pixel size was different. I tried running the 2nd display at different resolutions, but it still didn't look right. It seems that what I need to do is get another of the same model of my main monitor (a 24") if I want them to look exactly the same. I understand displays look best at their "native resolutions". Ah well... live and learn.
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzYInT ... 53N-Rs3c-g
Instagram - billgdegillio

2012 Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i7 (6.2)* 16 gigs RAM* OS 10.15.7* DP 11.22* MOTU M4* Scuffham S-Gear* Sibelius 8*
Xfer Records Serum & Nerve* u-he Zebra2 & Hive* NI Komplete 13* Korg Legacy Collection*
M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61* Presonus Central Station* Dynaudio BM5a* Rode NTH-100 & Grado SR225 Headphones