Where did this Safari preference go???

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

FMiguelez
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Where did this Safari preference go???

Post by FMiguelez »

A few OS ago, I remember there was a preference in Safari that asked you "Are you sure you want to quit Safari with all those Tabs opened"?

When I do research, I like keeping lots of opened tabs. But if you accidentally quit, or press the red button of the window, it will quit or close the Safari window with no further warning...

I know about the command to "Restore all opened windows from previous session", but it is not as convenient.

I don't see that in the preferences or elsewhere... Did Apple just take it out? :smash:
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
bayswater

Re: Where did this Safari preference go???

Post by bayswater »

I don't think that has been around for a while. With the recent ability to reopen everything that used to be open for most apps, I guess this was deemed redundant. The only warning that appears to be left is when you have entered data on a site, and then you get a warning if you try to close the window.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

They also took out the reload all tabs option that has been around since forever.
828x MacOS 13.6.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.31
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Besides the fact that Safari sucks
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cuttime wrote:They also took out the reload all tabs option that has been around since forever.
Since it is there in Chrome, I don't worry about it in Safari. I normally have 150–200 tabs open on three monitors for my day job.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I see...

I actually like Safari... Maybe it's because I've never actually tried any of the other browsers except for an odd emergency. I wan't impressed.
I guess what got me hooked to Safari was the ease of sync of all my bookmarks in all my devices and all my computers.

Too bad they took out my little preference :(
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

FM, I was wondering that myself, but now that Safari is my main browser on the Mac (the others went away or went downhill), I can report that it has been quite stable regarding tab history for probably up to two years by now. Knock on wood!

I too am always doing LOTS of research, and though bookmarks help for long-term protection against lost links, they aren't so useful for near-term where you may have culled a bunch of "most pertinent" links for a variety of subjects while your bookmarks are more comprehensive and thus not as efficient for day-to-day work.

The other thing that gets promoted now has a term I can't remember, and has to do with tab grouping or something similar. I tried it on several browsers and it didn't fit my work needs.

The main problem I have with recent Safari updates is that you can no longer click for a list of all open tabs (or easily open a tab that in turn displays all your current active links) as before. Given the new way that Safari displays tabs, it thus becomes much more difficult now to locate the one(s) of interest; much less be entirely clear on which one has active focus or visibility while you are scrolling the tabs. I can't find a preference for that either!

I think regarding the original question, the facility was removed by Apple once they developed and enforced proper session recall. As I mentioned, in spite of other issues with Safari over the years (and even presently, as mentioned above), it has now become my MOST trusted browser for session recall.

I deleted Firefox from my Mac a year or two ago. I forget why, but it was serious in terms of how much time I had taken trying to make it work for me. Yet it remains my main browser at work on my Windows box and is still on my Mac at work as well.

After my other browsers literally went away, I made Opera my main back-up browser for quick hits, interruptible and recoverable downloads (important with certain vendors), and a few forum and blog links that I visit rarely but need to find quickly when I do (vs. scrolling through a lot of active tabs in Safari). Yet I had to remove Opera from my Windows computer at work last year (I forget the reasons, but I ran out of time to resolve the problems so gave up).

Chrome is on my Windows computer at work, but on neither my Mac at work nor my Mac at home. A lot of stuff seems to not work in Chrome, but there are certain sites that seem to only work properly in Chrome or work best there. I've only spent a little bit of time investigating its preferences.

Not sure if Chrome is a great alternative for Safari on Macs at this point or not. I got so burned by the alpha (pre-beta) release that I've been afraid to try it (I had to rebuild my Mac from scratch after trying the alpha).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Opera has become useless and will be deleted next time I think about it.

Can't delete Firefox—one state web site I access every few days works with it only (looks like Windows 3.1) Now that PayPal shipping works with Chrome (still has issues with Safari), I hoped that I could dump FF, too.

I check out Safari now and then but it offers nothing that interests me. The version in iOS works ok but has problems that haven't been fixed in iOS 8 & 9. When I access work on my iPad, Chrome for iOS is my only choice if I want to get my work done.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

mhschmieder wrote: I too am always doing LOTS of research, and though bookmarks help for long-term protection against lost links, they aren't so useful for near-term where you may have culled a bunch of "most pertinent" links for a variety of subjects while your bookmarks are more comprehensive and thus not as efficient for day-to-day work.
You may already use it, but if not, you must know about this. You will LOVE Diggo for your research, my friend.
Mike Halloran, you may also find it very useful for the work you just described.

It's basically a tool that allows you to bookmark, annotate, add comments and other advanced functions to ANY internet website. If an annotated website disappears, it won't matter. Your comments and annotations are safely stored in their server, with lots of search and sharing tools.

It is an AWESOME way to collect bits and pieces of useful information "as you go", without much distraction to bookmark.
Another thing I love is that all the markings include automatic links back to the original sources.

And no. I do not work for them, I just LOVE being able to do that :)

Oh, and did I mention that you can create such annotations, comments and more from your computer, iPhone or iPad that sync among them?
And they have a free version, a Pro version, and everything in between.

https://www.diigo.com/index

This is a quick random picture of part of my Diigo collection from websites I frequent and annotate, so you have an idea of what it looks like in action:
(I'm so proud of my library and love it so much. It contains SO MUCH knowledge about things that interest me. It has grown and turned out to be a gold mine and a gem. A LOT of it comes from this very forum, BTW :) )

mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

FM, thanks so much for that. Hopefully I can start looking into it over the upcoming 4 July holiday weekend. Too many gigs between now and then. But that does indeed look targeted to my needs.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.1, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH