DP9 And Antelope Orion32+

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

jabsau
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP9 And Antelope Orion32+

Post by jabsau »

HI
Having used Dp forever (1983) I have just added An Antelope Orion 32+ to My rig .
I use DP 9.02 running it into an old MCI JC 600 desk . The Antelope sounds great however in record I am experiencing Latency, and In DP9 Setup>Input Monitoring Mode>direct hardware playthrough is no longer available as an option. The suggestion from Antelope is that while recording I turn off the monitoring in Dp and Monitor through the Orion , presumably turning DPs monitoring back on while mixing so as to access the automation , plugins etc.
Is anyone else in this boat , and are there any "better" suggestions out there.
Thanks
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP9 And Antelope Orion32+

Post by HCMarkus »

That's how I use Cue Mix with my MOTU hardware... turn OFF Input Monitoring in DP and monitor recording inputs through the MOTU hardware mixer. It works very well, because you can allow a performer to play or sing along with him or herself, then once you punch in, the recorded sound is muted and the performer can focus on the performance. Adjust the relative level of playback mix and input volume with DP's master fader and the overall monitor level with your headphone amp.

No toggling of input monitoring necessary for mixing. Just leave input monitoring off at all times. Only an issue if you want to monitor thru FX in DP while recording. As I've noted in other threads, my guitarists are always recorded both direct and with their rigs mic'd, so I can use their sound or mangle to taste with VI Amp Sims and other FX later. VI's don't need input monitoring enabled.

Unless the Orion offers onboard reverb, you might want to pickup a hardware reverb for monitor 'verb. Set it up on a buss in the hardware mixer (assuming the Orion has a multi-buss mixer built in...).

I'll go with light hardware compression while recording vocals; compression can always be increased in mixdown with plugins.