Emergency replacement of startup drive, which OS?

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

frankf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Emergency replacement of startup drive, which OS?

Post by frankf »

FYIW, Im a fan of OWC SSDs. I'm still using a MP 3,1 but have installed both 3G and 6G Extremes internally and via eSata in docks for OSX startup, DP project, and streaming samples and video. Spinners here are now only for archiving, cloning and Time Machine
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
HCMarkus

Re: Emergency replacement of startup drive, which OS?

Post by HCMarkus »

Killahurtz, if you have a blank PCIe expansion slot cover, just remove it or drill it to allow two eSATA cable to run from your PCIe blade external ports back into your Mac's optical bay, where you can sit a couple of SSDs on top of your optical drive (optical drive moved to lower bay) and power them from the second optical power port using a SATA power splitter. Just sayin'.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

frankf wrote:FYIW, Im a fan of OWC SSDs.
No reason not to like them.

The recent pricing and longer warranty of the 850 EVO makes it a more attractive buy nowadays.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

HCMarkus wrote:Killahurtz, if you have a blank PCIe expansion slot cover, just remove it or drill it to allow two eSATA cable to run from your PCIe blade external ports back into your Mac's optical bay, where you can sit a couple of SSDs on top of your optical drive (optical drive moved to lower bay) and power them from the second optical power port using a SATA power splitter. Just sayin'.
Good idea! I already have one 128 GB SSD (years old) sitting in there on top of the optical drive. I think I attached it with velcro, lol! It will only run at SATA 1 speed because thats what the 2 optical ports are limited to. But it's perfect for putting video reference files that need to be synced to DP. I didn't have to split the power because it's set up for two optical drives.. but I did have to get a SATA cable way back into the board, which was really cramped and difficult.

But I see your point, it's definitely a way to get 2-6G drives inside the machine!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I've got four SSDs sitting on top of the (unused) optical drive! :smash:

PS: I'm pretty sure all SATA ports in 4,1 and 5,1 MPs are SATA2, including optical bay ports.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

HCMarkus wrote:I've got four SSDs sitting on top of the (unused) optical drive! :smash:

PS: I'm pretty sure all SATA ports in 4,1 and 5,1 MPs are SATA2, including optical bay ports.

You're right.. The SSD I have in there is old- I think it might be a Crucial drive. It tests out as somewhat slower than it should be, but still beyond 1.5G, I think the optical drive itself may have that limitation.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.