Get Rid of the Dock -- Almost.

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Get Rid of the Dock -- Almost.

Post by bayswater »

With the launcher screens and spotlight, I rarely use the dock. And the dock is annoying when running DP because it keeps appearing when the mouse gets near the screen edge.

AFAIK you still can't kill the dock altogether, but this set of terminal commands help. One removes everything from the dock except what is running at the moment. The other can increase the time it takes for a hidden dock to pop up. Between these two changes, hitting active areas of the dock become less likely, and if you do, there is less interference with you're actions.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/customise- ... -commands/
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Re: Get Rid of the Dock -- Almost.

Post by mikehalloran »

I use the Dock but can understand why others find it annoying.

When using DP, anchoring the Dock to the left instead of the bottom keeps it out of the way for me.

Cool set of Terminal commands. Thanks for the link.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:When using DP, anchoring the Dock to the left instead of the bottom keeps it out of the way for me.
I have the Track Selector there. It seems no matter where I put the dock, it gets in the way.
frankf

Post by frankf »

I use the key command for showing the Dock. If I don't, the auto show drives me nuts.

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
http://www.ferruccimusic.com
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:I use the key command for showing the Dock. If I don't, the auto show drives me nuts.

Frank Ferrucci
In the settings I can see, hiding it and having it appear when you hover over it are part of the same preference. Are you able to have it stay hidden and inactive until you press a key command? How do you do that?
Robert Randolph

Post by Robert Randolph »

Code: Select all

defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay -float 10; killall Dock
Sets the delay for the dock to pop-up to 10 seconds. You can set it to 10000 seconds and that makes it basically gone. It requires that you have the hidden option turned on.

This is what I do and it works quite well.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

bayswater wrote:With the launcher screens and spotlight, I rarely use the dock. And the dock is annoying when running DP because it keeps appearing when the mouse gets near the screen edge.

AFAIK you still can't kill the dock altogether, but this set of terminal commands help. One removes everything from the dock except what is running at the moment. The other can increase the time it takes for a hidden dock to pop up. Between these two changes, hitting active areas of the dock become less likely, and if you do, there is less interference with you're actions.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/customise- ... -commands/
I'm with you on that one - thanks for the suggestions which I will try.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

Robert Randolph wrote:

Sets the delay for the dock to pop-up to 10 seconds. You can set it to 10000 seconds and that makes it basically gone. It requires that you have the hidden option turned on.

Agreed - just what I was looking for - thanks for these tips!
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.2, Studio One 6.5 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Robert Randolph wrote:

Yes, that's one of the commands in the article whose link I posted. I set it to 10 which seemed good enough.
frankf

Post by frankf »

bayswater wrote:
frankf wrote:I use the key command for showing the Dock. If I don't, the auto show drives me nuts.

Frank Ferrucci
In the settings I can see, hiding it and having it appear when you hover over it are part of the same preference. Are you able to have it stay hidden and inactive until you press a key command? How do you do that?
Uncheck "automatically hide and show the Dock" in Dock preferences, then use the key command. I think the default is opt-car-d but don't hold me to that.
Frank Ferrucci
Mac Pro 6,1 64gb RAM DP9.52 OSX 10.12.6 MIO 2882d & ULN2d Firewire Audio Interfaces, MOTU MTP-AV USB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:
bayswater wrote:

Frank Ferrucci
Uncheck "automatically hide and show the Dock" in Dock preferences, then use the key command. I think the default is opt-car-d but don't hold me to that.
Yes, the key command (option-command-D) makes the Dock appear and disappear when the automatic setting is disabled. But if you use the command to make it disappear, hovering over the Dock's position it pops up again. So it doesn't address the having the Dock pop up when moving the mouse near it when using DP.
frankf

Post by frankf »

Spell check got me again. Car is a nothing key, obviously. Once I disable Auto show Dock , hovering doe not pop the Dock up here. I must use the key command

Frank Ferrucci
Frank Ferrucci
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

frankf wrote:Spell check got me again. Car is a nothing key, obviously. Once I disable Auto show Dock , hovering doe not pop the Dock up here. I must use the key command

Frank Ferrucci
Interesting. It does pop up on my Mac. Might be a OS X version thing.
(BTW, what's a nothing key?) :lol:
frankf

Post by frankf »

A key that doesn't exist and does nothing. I just made that up because spell check changed cmd to car
Frank Ferrucci